63: And Sparks Fly

"Is Bai Yang talking to a girl?" Qiao Chen asked in disbelief.

At the sound of his voice, both Bai Yang and the girl turned their heads in our direction. When my eyes landed on the girl's face, I realised she was very pretty. She had a small, heart-shaped face with light pink lips and a thin nose, large eyes staring at us like a curious puppy. Her raven-black hair was long and let down all the way to her elbows. Even the way she dressed made her seem freshly charismatic: A white and black laced shirt and flared jeans. Her clothing gave her an alluring charm but her rosy face made her look like a wise yet optimistic person.

My eyes caught on the most interesting point about the girl-- she had a grey-and-white striped kitten held in her arms. The kitten was stained with dirt and grime, but owned eyes sparkling with wonder and curiosity.

Bai Yang, however, looked distinctively annoyed at our appearance. Gritting his teeth, he marched towards us. "Why are you two here?"

"We came to look for you, idiot," I made a face at Bai Yang the moment he asked the question. "You're supposed to be practising for your Nationals, Bai Yang, not out here flirting with girls!"

"I wasn't flirting with her!" Bai Yang raised his voice, on the verge of yelling. "I was looking for the damned tennis balls when she came across the Home!"

Denial much? I hid a grin before Bai Yang could notice and went up to the girl. "Hey. Sorry that this big dolt had to come and interrupt your lovely day."

"Yue En!" Bai Yang roared behind me.

The girl giggled. "No trouble at all. Is he your schoolmate?" she asked as Qiao Chen ran up to us to join in the conversation. "Are all three of you schoolmates?"

"Unfortunately, yes," Qiao Chen gave a dramatic sigh as he gazed over to Bai Yang, then over to me. I shot him a poisonous look and he just raised his eyebrows nonchalantly.

"High school, I assume?" The girl smiled as she glanced at Qiao Chen and Bai Yang in their Yu Qing tennis tracksuits. "I miss my days in high school."

"You're in college?" My jaw dropped. "You look so young-- not to offend you, of course."

"Damn, Zhang Bai Yang!" Qiao Chen grinned mischievously, swinging an arm over his shoulder. "Getting all the older girls now--"

"I would like you to shut up," Bai Yang shrugged Qiao Chen's arm off and pinched his ear between his fingers. 

"Ow! Don't pull my ear like that!" Qiao Chen yelped.

I shook my head and turned back to the girl as the two boys continued to bicker. "Again, I apologise for these two immature kids that I have to call my schoolmates. What's your name?" I asked, smiling brightly.

The girl smiled back. "I'm Yang Xuan."

"Not to come off as rude, Yang Xuan," I said, "But how did you happen to come here? The Tennis Home is pretty remote and far from the main city."

"Oh," Yang Xuan nodded in understanding. "I work as a volunteer at an animal shelter. I got a call that some unsterilised stray cats were roaming around the area, so I came to check it out. That's why I have him." Yang Xuan lifted the kitten in her arms a little higher. The kitten was watching the two boys arguing, seemingly interested in their chaos.

"Ah, I see why now," I said. I turned my head to glare disapprovingly at the two boys. "Bai Yang! Qiao Chen! Behave!"

The boys paused in mid-fight, Qiao Chen trying to push Bai Yang's face away while Bai Yang holding Qiao Chen's arm, about to twist it. They dropped their hands in an instant. Qiao Chen was sheepishly rubbing the back of his neck while Bai Yang looked at his shoes, suddenly interested in them.