Chapter 7 - Exemplary

Amadeo is sitting on the bed, looking through the window. From that simple ward, he watches his dedicated colleagues in their activities. His expression is lonely. The smell of medicines and bandages is intense; the light is mild and gives the room a slightly yellow tone. He sighs as he rubs his fingers, anxious.

The sound of the door opening startles him and he turns back with watery blue eyes. Deodoro enters, smiling. He removes the gloves and the Veneficus insignia from his chest. He excuses himself before taking a seat in front of Amadeo. The boy looks down, with a bitter expression. The silence remains for a few moments until Deodoro threatens to utter some words; Amadeo interrupts him:

_ Sorry, Deodoro. I wanted to show off to the veterans, AGAIN, and I screw it up... AGAIN... I... I know I can't do these things, but on a real mission...!

_ "On a real mission, I'll know what to do", is what you were saying?

Amadeo looks down once more, ashamed. Deodoro takes a deep breath and rests his bare hand on the boy's knee.

_ Ignea Stella and Ignea Fortuna are two extremely powerful and dangerous spells. Nobody in their right mind would use something like that in a friendly competition. _ Deodoro speaks and Amadeo bites his lips _ The control you showed over the fire was certainly impressive, young Paragon.

_ Eh...?

_ It is not easy to control the route of the Fortuna disks and you made them float without problems. _ Deodoro poses a more serious expression _ The potential you have is incredible, Amadeo. My mission as your tutor is not to make you "stronger"; that is impossible; it is to make you more accurate, more efficient. An...

_ "An exemplary Paragon", is what you were going to say? _ He opens a smile with the corner of his lips _ I've heard this since I was little. But I don't know how to control "this"! _ He lands both hands on his chest.

_ You do know, Amadeo. What you did today contradicts what you just said. You lack a little patience and experience.

_ Two things I don't have! Not even a little! Not at all! _ He frowns.

Deodoro sighs. He takes Amadeo's face in his hands. The boy's static.

_ You lack many other things too: Common sense, ethics, companionship, charisma, self-control, and, above all, humility to keep improving. You still have many flaws in the Spheres of Mind and Body. I realize that you try to compensate these defects by investing everything in your Spirit. _ Deodoro pauses; Amadeo's eyes twinkles and his expression trembles _ If you do what you know is right, you will do better than you think. I trust you, Amadeo. And I would like you to trust me too. _ He takes a deep breath and lets go of the boy's face, standing up _ As your tutor, what you did today disappointed me profoundly. _ Amadeo frowns _ However, as a friend, I take great pride in your abilities.

The boy smiles; the Veneficus responds with a heart-warming look. The conversation continues, with Deodoro listening and advising, while Amadeo talks about his anxieties.

----------------