"The Only Chemistry We Have Is The Subject!"

Skylar's P.O.V

Blah blah blah blah blah. That's all I hear as I sit on this highly uncomfortable chair, listening to Dr. Robinson(My chemistry teacher) drone on and on about benzene rings. He's a nice enough teacher, but his voice it monotonous and his lessons are, well, boring. Even looking at the clock on the wall is becoming more interesting; watching the seconds tick on. Tick, tick, tick.

"...well that was an introduction to the world of benzene rings, which we will come back to later in the year, for now, we're moving on to esters." There's a murmur of excitement throughout the class as this is a topic we did last year but at a lower level. This topic includes making an ester, which can basically be used to perfume soaps and stuff, its actually a really fun topic, it's one of the reasons that I didn't drop Chemistry last year. I'm really looking forward to this. "We are starting this topic with 'making esters' for this you will be paired up with the person you've been assigned as your partner for the upcoming chemistry assignment." And my excitement just evaporated completely, because if we've to be paired with our partner for the upcoming chemistry assignment, that means my partner is-

"Hey Skylar." The smug voice of Leyland fills my ears.

"So you're my partner. Woopie." I say the last part with as much sarcasm as I can be bothered to muster. From across the room I can hear Clarissa's screechy voice protesting the partnering situation.

"...But Dr. Robinson, it's not fair! Why can't I be partnered with my boyfriend!?" To emphasise her annoyance, she stomps her foot on the floor and folds her arms across her chest. What a baby.

"Because Miss Heart, your partner for the upcoming assignment is Jeremy, not Leyland and Leyland's partner is Skylar."

"But it's not fair!" She yells stomping her foot again.

"Miss Heart!" He suddenly bawls back at her, an unusual occurrence because Dr. Robinson doesn't even raise his voice let alone yell at anyone. "Your partner is Jeremy, end of story. You're just going to have to deal with it." With that, he gestures to her seat and walks away, giving her no option but to sit her dumbass down. Go Dr. Robinson.

"Well isn't your girlfriend that mature adult." I say to Leyland who looks shocked that I even spoke to him.

"Nobody's perfect?" He says as more of a question than anything else, to which I just roll my eyes.

"Okay, I will assign you all a specific ester to make and you will, well, y'know make it." Dr. Robinson begins reading down the list of partners and the esters they will be making. "...Clarissa and Jeremy, your ester is Isoamyl Acetate and it should have a banana-like odour. Last but not least Leyland and Skylar your ester is 2-Phenylethyl Acetate and it should have a rose-like odour. Now that you've all been given your experiments, one person from each pair come and collect an instruction sheet, then begin."

Leyland shifts a little closer to me, there's an odd awkward silence between us, NOT a very common thing surprisingly. I clear my throat. "So uh, why don't you go get the instruction sheet and I'll start setting up?" I say giving him a rather lopsided smile.

Suddenly that famous Leyland smirk is back on his face as he says "You're the boss." And salutes me. This makes me smile a little and I elbow him lightly before he leaves to get the sheet.

When he returns he hands me the sheet and I have a quick scan of it to see what we need, but as I'm about to go collect the equipment Leyland stops me by grabbing my hand, holding it a little too long then letting it go as soon as he realises this but his smirk never falters, he then points in front of me, and I see not only the equipment we need, but it also set up to complete the experiment. I turn to him, one eyebrow suddenly arching in question as to how he did that, but there is also a small smile playing at the corner of my mouth. These are the little things that make me miss him. But not too much.