CHAPTER FIFTEEN

"Love was something I had now grown to extremely hate!"- Hisham Hosseini.

CONTINUATION...

"I LOVED HER..."

"I loved her deeply! I loved her with all of my heart and soul!"

"How could you have loved someone so toxic, Hisham? How could you have loved someone so very very toxic?"

He immediately let out a laugh; a laugh that did absolutely nothing to hide the immense grief he still felt deep within and then asked...

"How could I not have loved her, Mama? How could I not have loved a woman I personally chose to marry?"

"How could I not have loved my very own wife? My better half! My better half who was expecting our very first child."

A strong pang of hurt instantly hit Yasmin's heart and she tightly bit her lower lip not at all knowing what to say.

What was she even supposed to tell him?

Tell him that he wasn't supposed to have loved so selflessly?

Tell him that he shouldn't have loved regardless of everything?

Tell him that love wasn't as sacred as it seemed?

Tell him that...

Tell him what?

Just what?

Fearing that his hand would grow terribly numb with the way it had suddenly gone extremely cold, she lovingly lifted it to her warm cheeks only for her entire body to literally freeze when he said...

"The way I loved Zulekha is the very same way you loved Baba. You too loved him unquestionably!"

"No, Hisham! No, I didn't! I didn't just love him blindly! Your father gave me reasons to fall for him! He gave me reasons to love him! He gave me many many reasons."

"He left you!"

"He came back!"

"Meaning you forgave him. I only but did the same, Mama. I only but did the same. I forgave her. I forgave her continuously. I forgave her every day. I forgave very single second!"

"I never forgave Hussein just like that! Your father made up for every single little thing, he did. He made up for things way more than I could ever ask for. He even made up for things he didn't have to..."

"Your father was a good man, Hisham. He was a very good man. A man who had been willing to change..."

"A man who had been willing to change himself for himself! No one else. Not even me!"

Sadness fully engulfed him and a lone tear trickled down his face as he once again softly whispered...

"I thought she would change too. I really thought she would. I thought that I and everything happening between us would help her change!"

"You cannot change anyone, Hisham. You can change absolutely no one. Unless they themselves want to change. Never ever think that you can..."

He immediately cut her short, hurt very much evident in his voice as he defensively shouted...

"HOW COULD SHE NOT HAVE WANTED TO CHANGE?"

"How could she have not wanted to change when she could clearly see how much I loved her? How could she not have wanted to change when she saw how I was willing to do most if not everything for her? How could she not have wanted to change when she found out that she was expecting our very first child? How Mama, how?"