Chapter III

Chapter 3

                As Michael entered the bus, everyone was so quiet. The driver patted Michael’s back.

                “I heard about what happened to your sister, I’m so sorry for your loss,” he said.

                Michael forced a smile, “You don’t have to be sorry sir, she is happy now. And thanks for your sympathy, I really appreciate it.” The driver smiled and pulled the lever, and then the door closed.

                Michael, took a step forward, he gulped. He felt all of their eyes were concentrated on him. The intense atmosphere was suffocating him. He looked around and noticed that the seats were all full except the seat just in front of him whereby a young girl in his age was sitting quietly not looking at him.

               “C-can I sit beside you?” he asked. The girl looked at him then nodded but didn’t say a word. Michael sat beside her, he felt uneasy sitting beside an unfamiliar and mysterious girl. He usually sits beside his sister. The memory struck him again. He bowed his head low. Every time he remembers a piece of memory of his sister he couldn’t forgive himself. He pounded his fist softly in to his chest so that no one might notice him.

                After a minute he had calmed down. He inhaled deeply then exhaled. He noticed that the girl beside him was looking at him intently. The girl was like searching his soul through his eyes.  “Y-yes? M-may I help you?” Michael said politely. He thinks the girl needs something from him.

                Suddenly the girl looked down then scribbled something on a small white board. Michael looked suspiciously. Then the girl held the small board, Michael saw three words on it.

Are you okay?

                “Y-you can’t speak? Are you a mute?” Michael asked. The girl nodded, Michael looked at her. The girl was blessed with beautiful light brown eyes; her hair is black and wavy; her face is so refreshing and blooming. He couldn’t even take his eyes off her for a second. Michael just came back to his senses when the girl waved her hand in front of him. “Um…. I-I” before he could even finished his sentence the girl held her board again and made Michael read it.

Hello, my name is Isabelle Wilt,

You are?

                “My name is Michael, nice to meet you Isabelle,” Michael replied forcing to smile. Since his sister died he didn’t smiled nor laugh, he don’t want to be happy. Happiness to him is meaningless without his sister’s smile. He blames himself for what happened.

                Isabelle touched his shoulder; her shining brown eyes were concentrated on his blue ones. Their moment broke when the bus stopped. They realized they have arrived in their school. Michael left the bus first meanwhile Isabelle stayed. Watching the emotionless Michael, she smiled wickedly and whispered: “Soon, you’ll be mine”

***

                His shoes screech as he he stepped into the school building. It’s been awhile since he saw his school. The greeting of another year makes his stomach churn. He remembered that he has obligations too, he tops the class for eleven years, and this time it will conclude all of the things he worked hard for.

               “Michael!” someone waved at him at the hallway. It was his friend Percy. Percy Seville is Michael’s childhood friend, Percy also is a black American, and they have strong bonds that no one could ever separate them, not even their parents.