Chapter I

Hello, It's my first time writing a story, I hope you will like it.. I really need your comments so that I could improve my writing skills. God Bless.. 

-shine31

_______________________________________________________________

“Help! Michael, help me! I’m drowning. Mom! Save me! Michael! Michael!”

                17 year old Michael Smith opened his eyes. Indeed he was crying again from the bad dream. He never forgot every single detail that happened a year ago. His gleaming blue orbs searched the room looking for the presence of his dear young sister who wakes him up every morning.

                “Help ! Michael!” the sentence rings into his head. He began to weep. If only he saved his sister, if only he helped her, if only he was not an idiot then she might still be living right now. His chest hurt, he lost his sister, his one and only sister.

                The painful memory began to creep into him once more.

                They were having a picnic in their grandmother’s place. It was just any ordinary day for their family until a tragic accident suddenly happened. No one expected it coming.

                “Michael, come here!” called the 5 year old Lily Smith, Michael’s sister. “I have found a very rare thing.” She pulled her brother’s hand.

                “What is it again Lily?” he asked irritably, Michael hates it when he is being dragged like that by his sister.

                Lily led Michael at the back of the house of their grandmother. “Whoa!” exclaimed Michael. Lily found a very beautiful river that stretched widely, the water was so clear and clean.

                “See? I told you it’s beautiful” smiled Lily childishly, “Don’t tell mom okay?” she whispered.

                Michael patted her head, “Good job Lily, let’s go inside now okay?” Michael pulled Lily’s arm but she just stood there looking at the river. “Lily?”'

                Lily, as if came back to her senses, she yawned loudly, “Alright Michael,”

Evening came; all of them were gathered at the small dining room. They sat at their own designated chairs. 

                “Michael, why don’t you say a prayer before eating,” said their grandmother.

                Michael gulped, he never actually prayed during meals. Before he could decline, Lily butted in.

                “Grandma, Michael is a coward, so I’ll do it for him!” she said joyfully, Michael looked at him angrily.

                “Alright Lily,” said their grandmother, Michael sighed with relief.

                They hold each other’s hands tightly. Then Lily started to pray, “Dear God, we adore and praise Your name, Lord, we thank you for this night. Dear God, we thank you for  the food that is served which will give us the strength, bless grandma so that she could climb the stairs again, bless also mom and dad  so that they will not spank me, This is all we ask, In Jesus name- Oh, bless also my dear older brother, Amen.”

                Lily, saw them staring at her curiously. “What’s wrong?” she asked them.

                “Nothing sweetie, we were just surprised that you could pray like that” smiled her mother.

                “Let’s eat!” said Michael happily.

                The next day, Lily was back there again. Michael found her staring at the river. “Hey, sissy what are you doing?”

                “Nothing, Michael I think I want to swim” she smiled at him.

                An evil thought entered Michael’s mind. “You really want to?” Lily nodded.

                Michael pushed her into the river. Lily was in panic, Michael was just laughing at her. “You said you want to swim? I just granted your wish. 

                “Michael, that’s not funny!”

                Lily’ face is becoming paler. “Mich-Michael! Help me! I’m drowning! Help!” she cried, her tears were not visible because of the water all around her. “Help! Michael! Help me! Mom! Save me! Michael! Michael!” then she submerged into the depth of the river. Michael’s eyes grew large, he knew that his sister is not joking.

                “Lily!” yelled Michael, his voice was cracking. “I’ll save you!”  Michael, you see, is a good swimmer. He is an athlete in their school and has won many competitions. He dived inside the river, he never knew that it was so deep, the current was so strong. He found her sister lying in the riverbed.

                Hang on Lily; I’ll get you out of here. He grabbed his sister’s arm and pulled her.

                “Oh my gosh! LILY! MICHAEL!,”  cried their grandmother as she found Lily lying in the arms of his brother. “I’ll call the ambulance”

                “Mom! Mom!” cried Michael, “Save her! Please!”

                Their mother and father hurriedly came to their location quickly, Michael’s mom was operating the CPR . But they couldn’t revive the child.

                “Lily! Lily! I’m sorry! Please! Please! Please! Be alive! LILY!” cried Michael as he held his sister’s cold hands. The sirens of the ambulance were heard.  “Lily, don’t die yet, the ambulance are coming, they will take you to the hospital ok? Lily!” yelled Michael, his father held his shoulders.

                “Michael calm down!” yelled his father. Michael saw them putting her sister in the stretcher.

“Just calm down, your sister is strong, she make it!” He looked at his father.

                “Dad! You don’ t understand! I killed her! I killed my sister!” yelled Michael, his tears was flowing, he couldn’t stop it.

                At the hospital, everyone was quietly praying for a miracle to happen. Mr. and Mrs. Smith were as calm as ever.  Then the doctor came outside the emergency room.

                “Are you the family of the little girl?” he asked them.

                “Yes, we are, h-how is she?” asked Michael’s mother, “Is she f-fine?”

                The doctor became silent for a few minutes. “I’m sorry, f-for your los - ”

                Michael’s face began to darken, “What are you talking about jerk? Is this a real hospital? You couldn’t even revive a patient. Make her live! She is just a little girl!”

                “Michael stop it!” said his father, “calm down son.”

                “Calm down? Dad! How do I calm down? This idiot is telling us that Lily is dead! He is lying!” cried Michael.

                “I’ am really sorry, but you see Mr. Michael, I am not God, I myself, is an imperfect man” he held Michael’s shoulder, “I’m really sorry,”

                “C-could we see her d-doctor?” asked Michael’s father.

                “Yes, you may”

……………

                Michael punched the mirror in front of him. “I can’t even forgive myself! I can’t!” he cried. “Lily, I’m so sorry, I’m so sorry” he yelled in agony. He couldn’t bear the fact that he himself pushed his sister in that river. His idiotic mind took control of him that time. He can’t forgive himself.