12 - Bathtime, Where Dwarves Are Concerned

Once I was good and out of sight, a cheeky Kili looked straight to his uncle. "You're not going to follow her?"

He halted his conversation with Balin to answer his nephew. "And why would I do that?"

"She said she was heading off to bathe," said Fili. "Which means in the nude."

The regal dwarf huffed. "Like I could care about that."

"He's right, laddie," said Dwalin through mouthfuls of pheasant. "Could be the chance you've been waiting for. Elf or not, when was the last time you even saw a woman—"

"Oh, sod off, all of you! I'll hear no more of your silly jokes!"

Unfortunately, Kili was not ready to drop the subject. "Fine. Come on, brother. Let's go spy on her ourselves." He hardly needed to tug on Fili's arm. In an instant, both young dwarves hurried away from camp.

"Wait. Kili, Fili! Stop this, both of you!" Thorin shouted after them.

They didn't listen and disappeared into the night.

Thorin groaned, wondering what nightmare of an event would unfold before him, and then rushed after his troublesome sister-sons. He hoped to find them and haul them back before they could cause anything.

Wanting to protect myself from peeping dwarf eyes, I ventured out to a spot on the river only myself and Arwen knew about. It was a small strip of dirt and rocks stretching ten feet in length, hidden from sight by colorful flowers, thick shrubs, and other natural obstacles. Just a few paces away placed a steep cliff from which a small waterfall fed the river.

This was a place I visited whenever the everyday antics of Rivendell elves got under my skin. A place to hear nothing but my outer and inner voices. Mother once made up a story about the water containing an energy that would imbue any bathers with good fortune.

Then again, the entire river Bruinen was rumored to do the same.

But I always stuck to that tale.

"I could use some good fortune this time around..."

Upon untying the strings of my dress, it fell to the ground, along with Glamdring. The sudden breeze caused my body to shiver. How I wish I had the thick skin of a dwarf at times like these. I rushed into the water and sunk down until it came up to my shoulders.

At first, it felt like icicles piercing my body, but after a few moments, the water felt warmer.

I ran both hands through my hair to unravel it, braids and all. My long locks cascaded down my back like sheets of silk, and then turned to wavy spider legs as I dipped my head underwater for a moment. It may not have been a hot bath, but it still relaxed me just as easily.

The only sound came from an owl perched high in the trees, the typical cricket orchestra that always accompanies peaceful nights, and the small waterfall of a series that fed the Bruinen. Its roaring sounded so calm and quiet compared to the raucous of the company.

"Of course, I've grown so used to them at this point," I muttered with a slight grin. "I don't think their noise gets to me anymore. Then again, maybe it never did. But even moreso, they do make great company."

Closing my eyes, my head rolled back against my shoulders as I leaned against a smooth stone and considered all of my companions.

First, Bilbo, the sweet hobbit who happened to be far more courageous than I could've ever imagined. "I remember the days when I only thought hobbits were no more adventurous or brave than a rabbit. I think I owe him an apology."