7 - Warg Scouts

Having no desire to brave the stench of the troll hoard, Bilbo patiently waited outside the cave with the rest of the company. I emerged out into the sunlight and found my way over to the quiet hobbit. "Bilbo!" I called.

As he turned, a smile lit up his features. "Ah, successful on your treasure hunt?" he asked.

"Quite. Found some weapons in rather fine condition." I nocked an arrow to test the bowstring's strength. "Barely used. Its previous owner must not have appreciated its value. Clearly the trolls didn't see its usefulness either."

"Even they would've thought it silly to hold a weapon similar to a twig in their eyes."

"True." Remembering the small sword, I flipped it in my hand once before holding it out. "I also found this. It's about your size."

Bilbo stared at the weapon like someone laced it with poison. "I can't take this."

"It's an elvish blade which means it'll glow blue when orcs or goblins get close."

"How can you tell?"

I shrugged. "Seen a few swords in my life, been around the forge. Let's just say I know an elf's handiwork when I see one. So here. Take it."

His eyes remained on the blade. "I have never used a sword in my life, Rose. I don't even think I can properly carry one, or...kill...with it." His face paled.

"Well, this one's particularly light. More suitable than one of our weapons." I held it by the sheath and offered the hilt to him.

He tentatively wrapped his right hand around the grip, giving a defeated sigh.

Sensing his uneasiness, I knelt and placed a hand over his. "You should understand something about this blade: you don't have to kill with it. It can just be to protect yourself, or others. That's how you treat weapons."

Bilbo gazed into my eyes, absorbing my words and processing them. Though he looked ready to hand the weapon back, I wouldn't take it no matter how desperately he insisted. Because in the unlikely event that I lost sight of him, my worst fear would be Bilbo unable to defend himself.

Thorin's voice cut through our conversation. "Something's coming!"

Everyone suddenly burst into action.

"Stay together! Hurry now, arm yourselves!" Gandalf shouted.

Now I too heard the sound of something large crashing through the undergrowth-heading straight towards us!

Bilbo tried to continue our conversation. "Rose—"

"Sorry, Bilbo. Not now," I apologized before drawing my new sword and running to join the others.

Everyone huddled together, weapons at the ready.

Out of the trees, a loud cry was heard, followed by a group of oversized rabbits pulling a sled. A wizard dressed in brown robes stopped the rabbits with a snap of the reins, screaming: "Thieves! Fire! MURDER!!"

Recognizing the man—who had clearly taken one too many mushrooms for breakfast—I lowered my sword. "Radagast?"

Stumbling off his sleigh, Radagast hobbled over to me with a smile. "Rose! It's so good to see you. How are you, my dear?" He quickly pulled me into a hug.

My eyebrows knit together when I sensed the fear in his voice and his movements. I awkwardly pat his back in a comforting manner. "I-I'm doing fine. Are you?"

Now trembling from a clear case of anxiety, he shook his head.

"Ah, it's Radagast the Brown!" Gandalf greeted, gesturing for the others to lower their weapons.