Chapter 5: Dauntless

I woke up from the sunrise that shined brightly in my eyes. I yawned and sat up, careful as I rubbed my eyes to avoid getting sand in them. Elizabeth was waking up too, but Jack was still dead asleep. His deep breathing was masked by the continuous sounds of the waves, and his face was facing the sky. I have to admit, he was quite handsome when he wasn't being a blaggard.

We took the opportunity to eat as much as we could before adding the rest of our provisions and dry plants to our pile and began to burn it. The fire jumped to the nearby palm trees, burning them up and the thick smoke travelled up and around us while the wind was softly blowing it toward Jack. Everything was on fire as we tried to make a proper smoke signal. We were being creative.

"What if it burned before anyone sees it?" I asked, tossing the last of the rum into the ball of fire, causing a slight explosion.

"Hopefully it doesn't," Elizabeth said.

I turned my attention towards the beach when I saw Jack suddenly stand up in a disoriented fashion. I called out to Elizabeth and pointed at him as she tossed a piece of wood into the flame.

"No!" Jack shouted, running up to us. "Not good! Stop! Not good! What are you two doing?! You've burned all the food, the shade, the rum."

"Yes, the rum is gone," Elizabeth said pragmatically.

"Why is the rum gone?" Jack asked, most upset about that aspect of what we were burning.

Elizabeth angrily turned around to face him. "One, because it's a vile drink that turns even the most respectable men into complete scoundrels. Two, that signal is over a thousand feet high. The entire Royal Navy is out looking for me. Do you think there is the slightest chance that they won't see it?"

Jack yelled back, "but why is the rum gone?!"

Elizabeth sat down at his feet and faced the sea, "just wait, Captain Sparrow

Elizabeth sat down at his feet and faced the sea, "just wait, Captain Sparrow. Give it one hour, maybe two, keep a weather eye open, and you will see white sails on that horizon."

"That isn't going to work!" Jack yelled down at her.

"Not with this attitude," I said.