Chapter 16: New Cages, New Rules

“How do you get in here?” I choke out the question. I peek outside the cell bars and see people go berserk. They punch and they brawl. I hear sounds of scuffle as well, clearly not a minor one.

            “They got me. They got Ruby as well,” Gemini explains. His eyes focus to the dirty floor tiles.

            “How about Alex, Joseph and Josh?” Panic is crystal in my voice.

            “I hide them,” he clears his throat.

            I look and squint at the fight of two strong men outside. Others are just clapping like it’s a humor, while it’s certainly not. I scoff and drag my sightline away from the brawl, locking my eyes into his.

            “You’re drunk.”

            “No… I’m not,” he looks at the floor again, “I kissed you didn’t I?” An airy chuckle escapes to his mouth. My heart drops at the confession.

            “Why did you do that?” I blush and get up from the bed. This is so embarrassing! My face reddens in anger. “It’s not funny.”

            “What? I thought you liked me!” He laughs.

            “Oh, please, I don’t,” I lie. “Are you playing a game with me?”

            He chuckles again, but his face becomes serious and I barely see the humor side of him anymore. I hesitantly look back at him and a small smile curves on his lips. It curls beautifully and shows the little dimple on his cheek. He still wears the cloth from yesterday, the buttons are still slightly unbuttons like last night.

            “Well, if you insist,” he smirks while arching an eyebrow. Oh, geez, I just know that he means it in a dirty way.

            “No,” I roll my eyes.

The groan of the cell bars interrupts our staring contest. It squeaks and makes an eerie sound out of the mechanical machine of the cell door. I shake backwards a bit as I sustain myself to step out of our cell. The speaker rings and becomes the central of the attention for the moment.  It says, ‘Breakfast!’ We both stare at each other for less than five seconds.

Upon us, we see a big space of other cells that plasters on each space of the wall. We walk pass it then we see a cluster full of tables and chairs. At the end of the rowing tables, a small canteen stands.

“Hello,” a voice of a girl shocks me to death. I lurch backwards as my head hit Gemini’s chin slightly. “You both are new here, huh?”

“Yes,” Gemini answers it for me.

“No, I want the girl to answer,” she insists. It annoys me a little. “What’s your name?”

“Why do you care?” I spit.

I said, what’s your name?” She shouts in a very harsh way that doesn’t fit her soft face.

“Essie,” I say with my hands up in defeat. Gee, what is wrong with this girl?

“Beautiful,” her voice softens as her face become calm and cute once again. Oh you two face. Her hair is in a bun and her cheek is chubby. I observe her slim body with her hands tingling on her hips. “I’m sorry. I got to fit in with these people. I mean no harm…”

“It’s okay,” I shush her.

“My name is Kiwi, nice to meet you,” she smiles. I smile back in return; I’m pretty sure she means what she said. Her smile says it all. “Let me introduce you this absurd place. It’s ridiculous to put us here, really. We’re not that filthy.”

“What about it?” Both of my eyebrows arch.

“This is no ‘normal’ prison. Every night, that speaker will shout out two random names to do a duel. If you don’t they’ll kill both.” she whispers.

I can feel beads of sweats dripping.

“This prison is too full, almost a person every week. One by one will die and there’s no escape…” 

A/N: I kinda don't like Kiwi :/