Chapter 18: Behind

Gemini pulls me away from that Kiwi girl as she waves her hand towards me with a smile. I tilt my head to smile back but Gemini pulls me again. I pout at him but he ignores me. We eventually stop across from the canteen stand. My eyes wonder to the foods for a minute. I don’t know what kind of magic Gemini has, but I can’t stand looking at the canteen for too long and look back at him. His face isn’t panic at all about what just Kiwi said back then.

            “There’s no escape,” I say under my breath; trying to remind him.

            “There is,” Gemini assures. “Ruby used to work up there,” he says, pointing to the edge of the ceiling where there’s a glass which shows the Holy Warrior that observes us while operating the systems. “There’s only one person who observes us from up above there. Ruby and Judith were the one who used to work there. They used to exchange shifts and they were best friends,” says Gemini; unraveling the history of my step-mother and Ruby.

            “So we need to go up there?” I gulp. Gemini nods.

            “But first, we need to know who’s up there,” Ruby suddenly interrupts out of nowhere. I jolt backwards and fall to my back. All three of us laugh. “I know how to know who’s up there. Come on, I used to work here,” Ruby smile deviously. We all three high-five.

And just like that, a friendship bonds between us three.

None of us interrupt as we wait for Ruby to speak up. Ruby clears her throat and continue her master plan. “You see that main door out?”

“But the Trolls guard it,” I answers.

“Exactly. Trolls are beyond stupid, they’re idiots. All we got to do is to ask him who’s up there.”

“I’ll ask,” Gemini volunteers. I shrug and wait with Ruby.

While we’re waiting for Gemini to come back, Ruby and I pick foods from the canteen as we wrap it to eat in our own cells. I pack vegetables and bad-looking soups for both Gemini and I. It doesn’t look appealing, but I don’t have that much of a choice.

Gemini then walks towards me with a pale face.

“Hey,” I greet back.

I lead him to our cell as he stays silent along the entire walk. We enter our cell and watch as the door lock by itself. I turn my gaze towards Gemini again who’s still looking pale

“What happened?” I tilt my head to make sure he’s okay. 

“The one who’s up there—” he pause. “—the operator is Indigo Wolfgang; your dad.”