missed calls

(human rk900)

03:09:10 a.m, March 17, 2039 // hey it's Conan, sorry I couldn't get to you, please leave a message BEEP

"Uh, hey. It's - it's .... It's been a while, I just wanted to talk to you - uh, to hear your voice. But since you didn't pick up... Nevermind, this was a stupid idea. Sorry...

"I... uh... miss you still."

She hung up and tossed her phone on the bed, shoving her face in her hands. She never liked being this vulnerable, it was uncomfortable to have placed this much love and hope inside one person. She didn't understand why she did it in the first place. Her aching heart couldn't take it anymore, she needed closure of some kind. The suffocating feeling made her hate herself for letting everything go.

It shouldn't have made her feel this way anymore, it's in the past now. There was no reason for her mind to draw a blank each time she thought about him. Her chest shouldn't tighten anymore when she thought of that night in his room back at his father's house, when they went too far. Why did it feel just right when he held her?

She had to stop drinking if she knew she was going to call him.

11:37:48 p.m, March 25, 2039 // hey it's Conan, sorry I couldn't get to you, please leave a message BEEP

"It's ... again, I know you don't want to talk to me. And I know this is such a weak thing to do, but I just can't help it. I know it was my fault we split. I'm sorry.

"I don't know why I even thought you would pick up. I guess I understand why, but I need some closure. It's a bit needy, I know, but I think this is a good thing for me to do. You can delete these if you want. Not to sound creepy or anything — come to think of it, that's probably the last thing I'd want to say to start a thought, but I digress — I've been counting down the days until the anniversary.

"Y'know, it's really stupid and I shouldn't. I remember that day like it was yesterday. I think it's quite obvious, but I still think about you. Er- that was pretty stupid of me to say. I'll just be going, I lo- um goodnight."

She hung up the phone and wished she never tried to call him again. The first time should've been the last time. A one time deal. To think that he'd want her back. She wished she had never met him, her thoughts wouldn't be so jumbled. Why did she have buy that bottle of wine?

Now that she thought about it, it really wasn't any of their faults. They should've known that long-distance just never works. It should've been broken off right as he moved to Detroit. But he took a part of her when he left that one-bedroom apartment in Los Angeles. There wasn't even enough time in either of their schedules to meet up even every other week. Or anything later. Their schedules never linked up and something bad was bound to happen.

02:59:03 p.m, April 10, 2039 // hey it's Conan, sorry I couldn't get to you, please leave a message BEEP

"It's me, er, again. .... I'm starting to think you got a new number, but to be frank, I think it's better that you don't respond. Saves me a lot of embarrassment and stuttering. Not like I'm not doing that right now. I, uh, noticed your girlfriend was here. I suppose she was on vacation or something.

"I'm saying that only because I had the absolute joy of running into her. Honestly, she looks really sweet. Hopes she treats you right. I saw her in the mall the other day. She was talking on the phone, I'd assume that would be... would be you. You really got yourself a good one. I hope you're happy with her.

"It would be a shame if you weren't. I guess I'll stop the rambling because you aren't even listening to these. What's the point?"

She just hung up, no goodbye or anything. She didn't have the heart to tell him that she saw said girlfriend with another guy. And they kissed as well. It's not like she want to sabotage anything, it's just it would be a little suspicious if he heard it from her mouth. His ex-girlfriend.