Part 6

After several seasons Nicolas became the most loyal supporter of his son's football team.
Due to Nicholas's positive attitude he was ascended to water-guy in less than a year. Other parents became jealous but Nicolas was the most preferred not only by the coach, a young p.e. graduated, but also by the kids. They all saw him as an ambassador of the good behaviour. Always smiling, preaching good manners amongst partners and rivals.

One time the son asked the father, why did you cheer for the rival team goal? Isn't that wrong?
Nicolas tried to be sincere with the risk of being hard to understand:
Being honest son, I don't think enjoying football is about the colour of a jersey, nor the club you support or even victories.
Footbal is always about the game itself, in its pureness, which can be seen even when your rival is playing nice.

Perhaps, you'll understand me when you grow up. Or maybe, one day, while watching your own son playing ball. The kid laughed and then went away with his friends.  

Nicolas's wife, Patricia, started to suspect of his new activities and new patterns. Suddenly in the last months, his husband started to slowly jog in a public square, began to drink beer and watch football on the tele.
What is wrong with him? She thought. The good part was his mood was beyond good, and of course he wasn't cheating. So Patricia did not continue with further investigations.

In secrecy, Nicolas watched his phone and stared at a list of names.
The next day he went with Carlos to try to convince another player. During the car ride Nicolas felt uncomfortable. His old pal used his phone without saying a word and then took some calls. When they got to the place, a theatre school, Carlos spoke and Nicolas felt again a weird vibe as soon as they stoped the car and got down.
Can you get me some water, bud? I don't feel good. I'll be with Luka. He texted he is about to give a class. 
Nicolas, surprised, accepted but in a second he remembered there was a water bottle left by his son in the back seat. Then he hurried to the meeting. When he got there something was going on.
Haven't see you in years, mate. You look great. Luka, a thin bearded guy with a handkerchief in his neck, made a modest smile and hugged him. Carlos reacted quick. I was telling our great friend here, the weekly match we are arranging.
Luka, interrupted him. You've just told me, you were planning it. Not with him.
Nicolas looked at Carlos for a second. In a serious tone, what are you doing? What are you trying to get?
Luka spoked again with little patience. Guys, we are all grown ups. I'll play but, I'm not the shy guy you remember:
Carlos, you've always been egocentric and shallow. I've never been your friend.
Nicolas, I know you are good guy but perhaps you've always been a little naive.
You do remember why we stopped playing?
Nicolas could not respond. Luka turned around and left.
Text me. I'll be there. I have a class to teach.

That night during dinner with his family Nicolas felt weird but he didn't say anything.
While asleep he began to dream with his youth. His first date with Patricia. When he finished his studies and of course, playing football on Wednesdays with the dudes.
But then, it became a nightmare:
Someone was lying on the pitch over the wet grass. The winter fog could be seen through the lights of an ambulance.
In the ground Peter had a hand in his chest and was suffering in pain.
Some of the guys were about to cry. Others couldn't take it and tried to look away.
Nicolas put a knee in the ground and held Peter's hand. With great effort he whispered and Nicolas came close to hear him.
The ball is alive, you can't tame it. Just, chase it. 

The next morning Nicolas stayed in bed and asked his wife to take their son to play ball.
When he was alone he speak to himself: he was, our very best.