Chapter 14

Skylar POV

"Ok, now Newt will go in and scout out the building before I head in with Teresa. Gally you'll meet us at this point right here." Thomas explained as he pointed at multiple points on the blueprints he had acquired from Lawrence. "Brenda and Skylar, you'll be getting the bus and wait for us and the Immunes to arrive-" I thought about what he just said.

     Watch over Newt. Don't leave his side.

Chris' words repeated in my head over and over. I knew this was the time that he meant. "No." I blurted out, not loudly but I made sure I was heard. I had cut off Thomas as he was still explaining the plan.

"No? What do you mean no?" Thomas asked me.

"I'm going in the building with you guys." I nodded my head toward Thomas, Newt, and Gally.

"Skylar we-"

"Listen, I don't want to argue with you about this okay? But I'm going in with you. I'm not changing my mind." I stared Thomas in the eye. He looked at me for a while, clearly thinking this through thoroughly.

"Ok." He finally decided. I walked out of the room to get my WCKD guard disguise. As I grabbed my outfit I heard someone walk up to me.

"There somethin' you wanna talk about?" It was Brenda.

"What do you mean?" I asked without turning around to face her.

"Look, I know we don't know each other the best but I can still tell when there's something going on." I took a deep breath at her words. "You can tell me." She pressed gently. I turned my head towards her.

"Not now." I responded. "Once we have Minho, and we get away from WCKD.....then I'll explain." I assured her. She stared at me and took a deep breath before leaving the room. I eventually had my entire suite on and grabbed my variety of weapons and stuck them into my pockets securely. I walked into a different room to see Thomas getting his own weapons. He looked up at me as I slowly continued my way into the room with my helmet in my hand. "I'm sorry for arguing with you." I admitted. Thomas shook his head as he continued to mess with his suite.

"It's all good."

"I can't totally explain what was going through my head in that moment but-"

"Skylar." He interrupted, staring me in the eye. "It's really okay. I trust you." I sighed in relief as my expression loosened a bit at his words.

"Thanks." I said quietly. He nodded in response.

The plan was in motion. We all met up one by one in the WCKD building. Newt, Gally, and I had gone in the building to scout out the area a bit before Thomas arrived. Thomas had come in with Teresa as planned and Newt and I met them shortly after they had arrived. Gally met up with us later. With Teresa's help we were able to open the door to the staircase leading up and down the entire length of the building. Gally stopped to hack into WCKD's system and give Lawrence full control. While he was working on that Thomas continued his way down the stairs to make sure no one else was around. Teresa sat on the stairs while I kept an eye on the door just in case someone decided to walk through. I turned to see Newt lifting his helmet and starting to cough. He was getting really pale and his eyelids were slightly red around his eyes. Teresa stared at him suspiciously, which Newt took notice of so he turned his face away from her. He was leaning on the railing of the staircase.

     He must already be losing his strength, I thought to myself. I walked over to him and put my hand on his shoulder. "Hang in there okay?" I whispered so that only he could hear my words. He nodded in response as he took several deep breaths. Thomas eventually came back up to us, the walkie-talkie in his hand that he now held up to his mouth.