14. Confession time

"Jules, you stepped on my foot again," complaints Daniel for the second time.

Jules grits her teeth.

She corrects him immediately, "Julia."

She is a good dancer. Unfortunately she is excellent in dancing as a man. It will take a while to get used as her new part as a woman.

She comments softly, "Dan, I don't think this would work. People won't be fooled."

Daniel smirks. Jules hasn't have a clue how many people are staring them right now. They are wondering who is his dance partner.

Madame Noirot has polished her into a shining diamond.

Jude is staring them with unblinking eyes. His eyes must have gone blind. That is Jules in a dress.

Tristan pulls his sleeve and finally manages to catch his attention.

Jude turns his head to look at him.

Tristan asks worriedly, "What's wrong?"

"That is Jules?"

"Impossible! I heard her name is Julia Knight. Jules' little sister."

"They look so alike..."

"Jules never spoke of his family. We never know he has a sister."

Jude approaches them. Jules is frightened when she sees her old friend is heading their way.

She grabs his hand and pleads, "Take me away from here at once. I can't face Jude or Tristan."

Daniel nods his head. He leads her away from the party immediately after mumbling she isn't feeling well to the host.

Jude only manages to get a close look on her before they pass the front door. He grits his teeth. Daniel has gone overboard. Forcing a man to dress as a woman like this. He is going to make him pay.

Tristan is speechless. He taps on Jude's shoulder. Jude is in berserk mode. Hard to make him lost composure like this.

Tristan comments, "Why are you so upset? Does Daniel do something to you?"

"I'm going to kill him."

"Count me in. I'll always support you."

Jude looks another way. His worshipping gaze is just too much for him to handle. He usually just ignores him.

*****

Another party. Actually Jules doesn't want to come here. Daniel forced her to attend the party. Part of their agreement is to join parties. She can't break their contract.

Jules sighs when she's heading for restroom. She needs to fix the hem of her dress. It has torn a little. She hates these beautiful useless dresses. Pants are easier to wear.

She mumbles, "When all of these are over, I won't wear this hellish contraption anymore."

Her feet stop when a man blocks her path.

Jude comments, "Jules, we need to talk."

She immediately looks around her. She exhales out of relief. No one is around them.

She explains, "Sir, you are mistaken. Jules Knight is my brother. I'm Julia."

"Three moles on your face. At the same location. You think I'm a fool, Jules?"

She approaches him and closes his mouth with a hand.

"We will talk, Jude. Not here. I'll come visit you in the morning."

"Remember your promise."

Jude has finally left.

Jules sighs. She goes to find Daniel. She squints her eyes when she sees him flirting with a beautiful Lady. He would never change. He announces his engagement to her. Yet he flirts so openly with others.

Jules turns around and leaves. She picks up her dress a little so she could move faster. She waves her hand and takes a hackney home.

Inside a small hotel room, Jules tries to change her dress on her own. It's a good thing she made the dresses' buttons on the front side. She hates asking a maid to help her change.

After spending years dressed up as a man, she hates depending on someone else to help her change her clothes.

She closes her eyes.

Daniel would never change. I'm really not his type. What am I doing?

She opens her eyes and changes her clothes into a male pajamas. She is hopeless. It has been years. She is still hoping he would notice her presence. That she would be different than all those women around him.

She collapses on a bed. Her mind flashes to what happened earlier in the party.

Jude is angry with me. I have lied to him and Tristan for years. I hope he won't end our friendship because of this.

Only few months. And she would return to her old identity as Jules Knight. Sleep evades her that night. She sighs. She kept staring to the ceiling until dawn.

It's still early in the morning when Jules returns to Jude's mansion.

Jude has been waiting for her. Apparently he hadn't been sleeping too. Judging from the dark circles around his eyes. Tristan keeps on yawning loudly. He doesn't look cheerful although there are cakes on a table in front of him.

Jude asks, "Could you tell me now?"

Jules stares the butler and some maids next to him.

Jules orders, "All of you are dismissed."

All the servants have left the dining Hall.

Jude is staring her as if she's a stranger.  She felt a chill in her heart. Not an old friend.

Jules inhales a deep breath.

Finally she starts her story, "It began with my uncle mad decision to sell me off to a brothel house..."

She told them the old tale. How Thirteen saved her life. They got stranded in London after having no money left.

Jude asks, "You don't need to dress up as a man. Are you a weirdo?"

"I have no choice. I couldn't stay in Daniel's house if I was a girl. No money. No skills. The only place for me would be workhouse or a brothel."

Jude is silent. Tristan seems have recovered from his shock. He is busy munching cake for a while. Jules looks downward to her hands on her lap. Unable to stare her close friend, Jude.

Suddenly Jude stands up. He picks few slices of her favorite cakes. He puts them in a plate. Then he places the plate in front of her.

He orders, "Eat. Wish you could have told me sooner."

"Why?"

"I could have taken you away from that jerk. So you won't be hurt."

Jules is silent. It seems she couldn't hide anything from his keen eyes. Jude is a stoic person. He seldom shows any emotion in his face. Yet he has a warm heart. He always takes care everyone under his wings.

Jude stares Jules when she is eating her breakfast. He drinks his bitter black coffee. He could never understand why Jules and Tristan love sweet cakes.

Daniel.

He won't let him hurt her again. Not on his watch.

--------------------------------------------
Please vote and comment:)