62

It was late in the afternoon and I was getting ready to leave the office when I heard the door open, I had my back turned and assuming it was my Secretary here to submit more files, I immediately started speaking,

"I'm heading home now, drop the remaining in my car--" I continued speaking but when I didn't get a response.

I turned around abruptly and froze.

"Hmm.."

Have I lost it already or is Luke really standing here?

"Cuddles."

I felt my heart hammering in my chest as I slowly made my way back to consciousness and towards him.

"W-what are you doing here?" I managed to stutter. "I mean I-I didn't know you got out already."

"I wasn't in Jail, Jane."

"You know what I mean."

He nodded,

"I got discharged yesterday-" He moved forward and I backed away, maintaining enough distance between us so that I could run if needed, the intense way with which he was looking at me, had no other plausible reasoning. "W-what is it you want? I have to get home to the kids." I flickered at my own incompetence, I couldn't even manage to keep still around him.

It seemed as if his eyes softened when they rested on wiggling hands and he leaned towards me, very slowly, almost as if he was afraid to scare me away.

"I wanted to see you and also know how you've been doing." He stated cautiously. His deep voice quieter than usual, he was making an effort to not intimidate me.

"It's been over a year, Luke, we are divorced and as you can see I'm doing alright....you shouldn't be here either way."

He nodded, "I know..."

There was a moment of silence before he spoke up.

"I heard you finally opened that salon?"

"Yeah..."

"How's it going?"

"Great, it's going well."

"I'm happy for you, Jane, extremely."

I suddenly remembered when he wouldn't let me have one, he said he would rather I opened a brothel and called it that.

I scoffed at the memory as we stood there in awkward silence. I tried to avoid looking at him directly, while he drilled holes into the side of my face with his intense eyes.

I finally spoke up interrupting whatever this was. "It was nice seeing you Luke, but I really have to go."

He looked at me calculatingly for a moment, to see if I was just trying to get rid of him or if I really had to go.

"I'm serious." I added.

"Can I get coffee first?"

I raised an eyebrow at him in confusion and he immediately added,

"Please."

"This is not a coffee shop Luke, but fine."

He watched me as I went to brew something for him. I started making the drink, turning my back to him but still, I could feel his eyes drilling holes into my face, causing my blood to pump faster in my veins.

He seemed a lot calmer, that rage that oozed out of him whenever was completely gone, he even had a new look, his ginger hair was dyed black which suited him well.

The only way I could tell it was really him it's the way he's staring at me, those blazing eyes of is, it hasn't changed.

A second later I felt fingers bruise my neck causing me to nearly jump out of my skin turning to find him right behind me, leaving no space between us.

I tried to move away that's when his arm seized my wrist, stopping me, and then he snaked his other arm around my waist, pulling me close to him,

"W-what are you d-doing?" I breathed in.

He runs the pad of his thumb on my cheeks, whispering,

"I missed you so much, cuddles."

His right-hand raises to my hair, tucking the brown wisps behind my ear, whilst he looked at me in a way that had my heart quickening.

It took a knock on the door to bring me back to my senses, to realize what he was doing, he was trying to lure me into his arms again by coaxing me,

Fuck! I'm so stupid.

I pushed him away and quickly went to get the door, my Secretary was standing there with the files I asked.

"I'm sorry, ma'am...I didn't know--" She quickly apologized for the inconvenience, noticing Luke in the room.

"It's fine....Actually, Luke was just leaving." I looked at him and he started walking towards me.

"When can I see the boys?" He asked.

"I'm sure we could create a new schedule now you've returned. And next time I would really appreciate you call before you show up at my office, this is my place of work...."

"I'm sorry about that, Jane."

"Just don't let it happen again and we would be fine." I said ushering him out of my office.

"How's dinner this weekend?" He waved in.

"Actually, I have a date this weekend, so I can't...." I bit my lips and averted my eyes away from him,

"Are you..." he swallowed as if unable to get the words out of his mouth, "Can I---"

"I just need you to leave, Luke." I cut in irritation.

I'm aware I'm being harsh on him but let's not be quick to forget this is the same man who caused me so much pain, the same man who crushed my heart and soul over a billion times. How can he just stand there pretending like everything is fine between us, or how could he act so normal after everything he's done and put us through.

"JANE--"

"Just leave Luke!" I snarled, tears threatening to escape. I refuse to break down in front of him. He doesn't leave right away but leaves eventually.