Chapter 4

I was really starting to have my doubts about this.

I looked to left, then to the right, looking for any houses that might have looked familiar. That didn't help me though because all the houses were practically the same, being big, white and expensive. It seriously made me wonder why all these people actually needed these houses. Most of them only had one or two persons living in them so why not use your money on something you actually need? It causes trouble for people like me who jump out windows and leave the school compound because your idiot brother is going to be late as usual when he knows there's a major storm brewing.

I grimaced as I noticed the clouds darkening. It would start raining soon and I really didn't want to spend my last moments lost and by myself. I remember some kids at school talking about how fierce this storm would be. I didn't really pay attention, eavesdropping wasn't my thing, but it didn't occur to me to check it out. It couldn’t be a hurricane, a tornado or a snowstorm. The weather here’s too perfect.

I looked up at the boiling sun.

Yup. Definitely not a snowstorm.

As I continued walking, I continued to think about today's events. It's been sixteen years and I still don't know why birthdays are so special. Heck, why celebrate someone who was too young to remember the actual birth? It doesn't make sense to me and it never will. I'll never be able to understand why people are so happy and cheery just like people will never understand me. They'll never know the hurt I wake up to every April 2nd. They'll never see the pain and disgust in my father's eyes every time he looks at me, wondering why I'm alive. They'll never understand how every year I wish I could stop breathing. Even now, I wish they had used a condom an-

"Oww!" I screamed aloud for no one in particular to hear.

I looked up at this big, fat, ugly stop sign staring down at me. I could picture Ley high-fiving the inactive object and laughing along with it, interlocking arm and steel bar and skipping down the road triumphantly. I’d lose my best friend to a stop sign…

Whoa. I must be hungry.

I shook myself from my thoughts and tried to ignore the sudden gurgles coming from my stomach.

"Hold on babe, I got you." I said, looking down at my stomach with loving eyes and patting her to reassure her. "I'll name you Bertha."

Definitely hungry.

I was brought back to reality when I heard the shuffling of footsteps. Humans here to save me! Unless they're not? No, they have to be. I'm saved.

I started running in the direction of the footsteps, filled with joy. I won't die after all.

Or maybe I will.

As I turned the corner of a nearby house, I heard slamming of doors and bolts on their shutters being latched. It finally started to sink in. This storm is a big deal and I really need to get home.

I started to continue my path of uncertainty, not failing to acknowledge the darkening sky and the flashes of lightning.  After what seemed like hours, I decided to gamble a bit. I placed in the middle of a crossroad and closed my eyes. My idea was to spin and whichever direction I stopped, I would follow and hopefully find my way home.

As usual, my plan failed me.

I only had enough time to hear the honk of a car and open my eyes to a pair of headlights coming at me. I couldn't even prepare for impact that never came. I opened my eyes and I don't know when I had fallen, but I did. I stared at the dark sky, petrified and shaking, probably white as a sheep.