Sanctuary : Things that go bump in the night.

I no this is long. but in order to understand the story line, you will need to read and understand this. Do not hesitate to contact me about any of my stories.

Dr. Helen Magnus is an English born physician and scientist specializing in crypto-zoology and xenobiology. She is over 274 years old and is "blessed" with apparent eternal youth thanks to a vampire blood-based serum she took which gave her longevity and a higher IQ, she is the founder and elected leader of the Sanctuary Network. Dr, Magnus was a part of a group they called The Five. The Five were a group of 19th century scientists and paranormal researchers studying abnormals, who were dedicated to expanding their knowledge of the physical world even by the most unconventional means.

The members came together at Oxford University in the Victorian Era. One of the members, Dr. Helen Magnus, was able to procure a sample of blood from a species named sanguine vampiris, the pure, ancient form of vampires. The sample in question dated from before the time when Vampires were killed off or sterilized by the Roman Catholic Church. Magnus derived a serum from the source blood and discovered that, if injected, they could gain extraordinary powers. The group's members each chose to "evolve", and Magnus insisted on being the first to experiment in case the serum proved fatal. She survived the injection and together, each of the rest of the five took the serum and received unique "gifts" as a result:

◾ Helen Magnus: Longevity

◾ John Druitt: Teleportation   aka Jack The Ripper

◾ Nikola Tesla: Control over electricity & awakening of latent Vampire genes (including the ability to heal)     aka the scientist and greatest mind in history

◾ Nigel Griffin: Invisibility    aka The Invisible Man

◾ James Watson: Enhanced intelligence      who was secretly the famous Sherlock Holmes himself but preferred to be known as the sidekick so let Holmes take centre stage.

Additionally, each member received some form of longevity that allowed them to live longer than most humans (while Magnus' [and possibly Tesla]'s was permanent, the others' abilities merely slowed down their own aging process). Each of the five members were connected by this shared secret, which they would protect for years to come.

However, the source blood came with a price. For Magnus, it would be seeing everyone she loves die. For her old love, John Druitt, it turned him into a stone cold killer, who we know as, Jack The Ripper. Every time John used his ability it drove him more insane, and filled him with a rage that could only be satisfied with murder, as it fed on the chemicals generated by his body from the hightened emotions. In the beginning he was able to hide this condition from the others, especially Watson who would consult with him regularly about the killings, and John (as his alter ego "the Ripper") would even change tactics in his kills to confuse and mock Watson. In the end, either John slipped up or the others became wise to what he was up to. After discovering that he was "The Ripper" and why, Helen tried one last time to offer him help. By that time Watson was disgusted and ashamed that his friend could do such terrible things. Nikola and Nigel apparently formed similar opinions about their former companion. John refused Helen's help and disappeared after she attempted to defend herself.

After an undetermined amount of years the Five dropped out of the public eye. One by one they disappeared or faked their deaths in order to avoid suspicion about their powers. They each relocated to a different area and changed their appearances. Helen dyed her hair, John shaved his head, and Tesla got rid of his famous mustache so they could blend in to a new environment and a more modern age without arousing suspicions.

Despite this, four of the Five left a mark on the world, both good as bad. Tesla's science helped make strides for the modern world while Nigel's and James' exploits were immortalized in popular fiction, though changed slightly in order to protect their identities.

The Sanctuary Network exists to help, control and protect what you mere mortal people call, 'monsters'. The irony is, most of them need protecting for their own safety but some, some need locking up for the protection of man kind.