Chapter Nine

I scrunched up the letter in my hand and threw it at the wall. “He can’t do this!” I yelled, hysterically throwing my hands in the air. “Babe, what’s happened?” James questioned, worry evident in his features. “He can’t take my daughter away from me,” I answered. James glanced at the crumpled ball of paper on the floor before picking it up and unfolding it.

“He’s going for full custody?” James asked when he’d read the letter and I nodded. “He can’t take Anabelle away from me, James. She’s my baby,” I told him. James put the letter down on the countertop before pulling me into a hug. “It’s going to be okay. We’ll fix this,” he whispered, kissing my hair.

When James and I had drunk a cup of tea, I made up some lie about having to go to Jake and Casey’s flat. But James wasn’t having it. He insisted on driving me there. “I’ll be fine on my own, James,” I argued but he still refused to allow me to leave the flat on my own. “Doctor’s orders.” I rolled my eyes and sighed.

James went into the bedroom to grab his jacket and I took the opportunity to make a quick escape, grabbing his car keys on the way out. I ran out of the building and unlocked James’ car. I hadn’t intended on visiting Jake and Casey’s flat. I’d intended on driving straight to the flat I used to share with Reece so I could confront him. And so I did.

I pulled into the carpark beside the block of flats I used to live in and got out of the car. I locked the car as I headed away from it and into the building. Reece couldn’t take my daughter away from me. I knocked on the door and waited for him to answer.

The door opened and my heart leapt into my throat. Reece’s eyes met mine and he raised his eyebrows. “Can I help you?” he asked. I was silent for a few seconds before taking in a sharp breath. “You can’t take her away from me, Reece.”

He was quiet for a moment as he drummed his fingers on the door. “Jasmine, you’re sick, therefore you’re not a fit mother.” I was furious. I wanted to slap him and scream and cry. But I had to prove I was at least getting better. “Who’s at the door?” I heard the familiar voice of my ex-best friend say.

I clenched my fists as my palms started sweating. “She lives with you?” I questioned, trying to remain calm. “Yes. She’s my girlfriend,” Reece replied. He was allowing someone else to take care of my daughter.

“At least just let me see her for a minute,” I said. He hesitated before opening the door further. “Anabelle,” he called. My little princess came running round towards the door and her face lit up as soon as she saw me. I picked her up and hugged her. “How’s my girl?” I asked and kissed her cheek. “I missed you,” she told me. I smiled and tucked some of her hair behind her ear. “Not as much as I missed you.”

“Right, come on, time to go,” Reece piped up, reaching out for Anabelle. “Please…let me have her for the afternoon,” I replied. Faye came into view and raised her eyebrows, clearly surprised to see me. “I don’t think that’s a good idea,” Reece said, taking Anabelle from my arms. “Say goodbye to Mummy,” he spoke quietly.

Anabelle frowned. “Daddy, I want Mummy to stay,” she spoke in her adorably sweet voice. Reece glanced at me before looking at Anabelle. “Mummy can’t stay, Sweetie. She has stuff to do,” he explained. Anabelle’s bottom lip started to wobble and tears welled up in her eyes. “I want Mummy,” she said. Reece looked at me for help and I sighed.

“Honey, I have to go. But I’ll see you soon. I promise,” I told her as I stroked her hair. She started to cry and my heart ached. All I wanted to do was hold her and tell her it was going to be okay. “I love you more than anything in the world. Don’t forget that,” I whispered and kissed her forehead. I gave Reece a pained look before leaving his flat.

The drive back to the flat was filled with me trying to stop myself crying so I could see the road. I knew James would be furious when I arrived back at the flat. Everything was a mess. I just wanted my daughter back. I stopped at a red light and took the opportunity to take a few deep breaths. One step at a time. That’s how I needed to tackle this.

The lights changed to green and I starting driving again. My eyes flew wide as a child ran in front of my car. I quickly turned the wheel and slammed my foot on the brake pedal as I tried to avoid the child. James’ car spun round the road and slammed into a lamppost. My head hit the steering wheel and my vision became blurry before I lost consciousness.