Chapter 43: Finale; Treaty of Remnant

Standing on the stage beside you were Ruby and her team, Nora, Ren, Jaune, and you own team of SCAR pilots. As well as ambassadors and government officials of the UNSA sent from Meridian on behalf of Japan. Ruby and the others wore their basic gear whereas you and everyone else dressed in your Navy dress uniform. Standing opposite of you was General Ironwood from Atlas and beside him several officials and soldiers from the kingdom.

Below you were crowds of civilians and news reporters recording the proceedings going on, Yang stood within the crowd holding her new son Issei. The flags of the UNSA, Japan, and Atlas flying side by side.

It was now a full month since the final battle above Remnant. Today was a special day as this day was not only one of remembrance, but also the day SATO and Atlas would sign a treaty. 

UNSA ambassador: I present to you the Treaty of Remnant. This treaty signed between the powers of SATO and Atlas, recognizes the sovereignty and independence of the Kingdom of Atlas, as well as ends all hostilities between the two powers. And we will work together in keeping Remnant safe and secure for both human and Faunus.

Once the ambassador finished his speech government officials from Meridian signed their side of the paper, General Ironwood followed suit on behalf of the Atlas council. The two men on either side held the treaty up for all to see, this was met with flashing camera lights and applause from all around.

As cherry blossoms began to gently fall upon the crowd from above Weiss had taken the stage as she wanted to address the crowd, particularly the Faunus. 

Weiss: First off I wanted to say thank you to every Faunus that contributed to the defense of not only Atlas, but Remnant as a whole. But really...I want to formally issue an apology to all of you on behalf of the Schnee family. To all of you who may have been under my father's thumb when he was in control, I know how we treated you was unforgivable. And to all the Faunus here, who are planning to leave Remnant altogether and start a new life on Meridian, no hard feelings. I understand. But I hope that one day the relationship between us can be mended in some way.

The Faunus in the crowds below looked at one another and eventually clapped. When Weiss had stepped away the Meridian ambassador announced a final guest of honor to appear on stage. The crowds made way for a Japanese man dressed in a suit and a woman in a dress beside him. You and Shinya knew who they were instantly.

Shinya: Wait...that's...

(Y/N): They're....

The Emperor of Japan and his wife. Emperor Shigesato and his wife Lady Himeko.

They walked onto the stage after being saluted by SATO soldiers. After giving a speech to the people the Emperor turned to you and the others, and one by one walked down the line placing a medal and sash around your chests for your gallant victory during the conflict, he'd awarded you each the Order of the Rising Sun.

Emperor:  *shakes your hand* Congratulations young man. May kami guide you all.

You smiled and nodded at the head of states comment. As he went down the line congratulating Ruby and the others you turned to your team.

(Y/N): We did it.

Rio: We're totally heroes now.

Masaru: I don't know about you but I could use a night out. What do you say Shinya-

Shinya had stepped down from the stage and went to Yang and his son, he began hugging and kissing both of them.

(Y/N): I think Shinya plans to stay home with them.

*** 

Singer: *singing God knows*

🎶 anata ga ite watashi ga ite
hoka no hito wa kieteshimatta
awai yume no utsukushisa wo egakinagara
kizuato nazoru 🎶

🎶 dakara watashi tsuiteiku yo 🎶

🎶donna tsurai sekai no yami no naka de sae
kitto anata wa kagayaite
koeru mirai no hate
yowasa yue ni tamashii kowasarenu you ni
my way kasanaru yo
ima futari ni God bless... 🎶

The stage had lit up with bright red and white lights once again as the band had finished their song, the flags of Japan and Vale flying side by side above the stage and the people of Vale and SATO personnel cheering them on. As their song concluded everyone gave them a final round of applause.

It had been a few days since the treaty was signed and you were enjoying time to relax inside of one of Vale's parks, where a Japanese-style festival was taking place. With help from several Japanese SATO officers from the navy it really felt like Japan, with stands that sold Japanese snacks, games, etc. A select few even wore kimonos. 

(Y/N): *sniffs the air* Ah. The smell of sukiyaki instead of gunpowder. Reminds me of Nagato.

Ruby: Ah, there you guys are. 

Yang: *holds Issei* Shinya take Issei for a bit. I gotta use the bathroom. *leaves*

Once Yang left you and Shinya looked at one another and nodded. You then shouted a Japanese word loud enough for everyone around you to hear, they knew what you meant. You were all then surrounded by a group of people in a circle.

Shinya: *shakes a bit* I don't know if now's a good time (Y/N), is now good?

(Y/N): Shinya, grow a pair already. If you don't tie the knot now pretty sooner or later someone else is gonna snatch her up. You got this. 

Rio: He's right.

Masaru: We're all here.

Shinya nodded. 

After a bit of waiting Yang returned with a confused face as she walked to the center of the circle, standing before Shinya. He smiled as he handed Issei to Ruby and walked towards his girlfriend.

Shinya: Ya know I never thought my girlfriend would be from another planet I didn't know existed up until a few months ago. I'll admit as creepy as you were in the beginning I've grown real fond of you Yang. You were with me through it all in helping us fight the Front and just...being a wonderful girlfriend. Which is why...*blushes* I wanna ask you something.

Yang: *blushes* Yes...?

Shinya could feel his heart beat rising as he knelt down before Yang and drew a small black box from his pocket. He opened it to reveal a silver ring inside, causing Yang to cup her mouth with both hands.

Shinya: I bought this when we were on Meridian and I've been holding onto it since. I think now is as good a time as any. 

Yang: Shinya...*cries*

Shinya: Yang Xiao Long....would you make me the luckiest Japanese guy in the whole universe right now?

A moment of silence.

Yang: *nods* Yes......Yes!!!

You all erupted in cheers and congrats as Yang threw her arms around your brother and the two kissed. Each of you recording and taking pictures of the soon to be husband and wife. 

(Y/N): *pulls Ruby close* I'm happy for Yang.

Ruby: Yeah.

As Shinya placed the ring on her you both walked towards them. Patting your brothers shoulder you congratulated him and told him if he ever needed anything to not be shy. The rest of the evening continued on as the citizens of Vale continued with the festival and you spent more time with Ruby. Eventually a few days after you had taken Ruby back home with you once again for an off duty vacation.

The kingdoms endured another period of peace for years, and all was well.