Chapter Eighteen: Lloyd's Void

Sybil couldn't have been happier that day. She rode out towards Vidarf Hill. Abel rode at her left. She was extremely glad that Abel could be the guard to take her. She had known him for years now and had become friendly with him. He looked over at Sybil and smiled.

"It's a beautiful day, Princess."

Sybil laughed as she looked up at the cloudless sky, the sun beaming down on the small party "It's amazing!"

On her left was Miranda. Her brown riding beeches clung to her horse as she rode bare-back. Her emerald green riding cloak whipped backwards in the wind. She rode gracefully and laughed as the wind blew her blond hair back. She was always so carefree. It made Sybil feel less burdened by her heritage when she was with her.

Miranda laughed as she talked to her friend "Abel is right, today is going to be the best with Lloyd."

Behind her, her little brother, Mathias, rode on his horse, Lotus. He treated his horse like a prized pet. He rubbed her flank as he rode. He wore his favorite riding gear. Black riding breeches and his blue shirt under his worn-down brown jacket. His favorite wide-brimmed hat sat on his short red curls as he rode. The hat made him look like a Sand Dale ranger. Sybil laughed as it flopped over his eyes as it always did.

"Is your hat too big for your liddle-widdle head Matty?" Sybil teased.

Mathias fixed his hat with one hand "Shut it, Sybil," he whined. She grinned and knew she had won. She loved her brother dearly but part of the fun of having a little sibling was teasing them.

The group rode on and soon enough their horses cantered up the hill.

Abel reigned in his horse "You guys have fun. I'll wait here."

Sybil smiled "Feel free to join us if you get bored over here. You're not like the other guards; you're pretty fun."

"Whatever you want, princess" his words were formal but his eyes shone with mirth.

Sybil, Miranda, and Mathias urged their horses to the near farmstead. Sitting on a nearby horse was a teen around Sybil's age. He had short black hair and shining brown eyes. His face was angular and his arms were tanned from working out in the sun. His white button-down shirt was slightly open so that his muscular chest could be seen. He sat up on his steed as the others clopped over.

"Hi, Lloyd." Sybil blushed.

"Hey, Sybil." Lloyd grinned. His teeth sparkled in the bright morning light. He glanced over at Mathias and Miranda. "Hello everybody."

"Hi, Lloyd," Mathias grinned, waving his hat at him.

Miranda gave him a friendly smile "Hey, Hay." His nickname was very fitting. He always had straw sticking to him, no matter his attempts to brush it off.

Lloyd waved a picnic basket in the air. "Let's sit down over there," he said, pointing at a nearby oak tree. The group dismounted and walked over to where Lloyd had laid out a picnic blanket. He put the basket down and placed all the food goodies onto it.

Sybil clasped her hands together with joy "You did all this, Lloyd? How nice of you!"

Mathias greedily reached for a sandwich but Lloyd grabbed his arm before putting him in a playful headlock. Mathias whined loudly as Lloyd toke off Mathias' hat and noogied him. Sybil laughed at her brother's discomfort.

"Ladies first," Lloyd waved with one hand as he noogied Mathias still.

As the girls got their food Lloyd let Mathias go. Lloyd was one of the few people that treated Mathias like a ten year old boy and not the prince of the kingdom. As they ate, they chatted about recent events. Lloyd and Sybil kept up a constant stream of conversation laughing at each others jokes.