Chapter Seventeen: Destiny

Max walked down the lonely hallway, red orbs of light drifting slowly above his head, casting the hall in an ambient light. Max had sheltered in the library for hours, his nose buried deep in various books about mythical creatures and elemental warriors. Max had decided that the only way to be a truly good elemental warrior was if he had knowledge as well as fighting skills. Max still felt he was far behind Greg in both aspects, still hoping he could still catch up to his friend and mentor.

Taking a shortcut, Max branched down one of the less used paths. As he journeyed down it, he was surprised to see a thin film of dust was actually set over the floor and walls. A lone red orb lurched almost drunkenly, passing over his head before continuing its staggered flight in the direction he had come from.

Max clasped his cloak, shivering as a chill pressed in on him. What made this hallway so different from the others? As the thought shot through his psyche, he blanched, a low moan piercing his thought. He whirled on his heel, his eyes darting around the dark hall in fright. Only a meter from him lay an open door, still swinging outwards before landing with a soft thud against the wall, sending a small plume of dust into the air.

With precaution, Max drew Cometfell, heartened by the reassuring sound of steel sliding across leather. Feeling the now natural weight of the sword in his hand, he gripped the leather hilt, creeping down the decrepit hall as he made his way to the door. As he reached it, he peered into its dark depths.

With a shout of alarm, stanched by a sudden hand shooting over his mouth, he was pulled into the room, the door swinging shut behind him. He swung widely, his sword hitting nothing. With a lurch, he crashed to the floor as he was kicked over, his face smacking resoundingly into the cold wood. He flailed his legs to no avail as he was flipped onto his back, his eyes looking into a wild cobalt set. Long ringlets of black hair filled his vision, a hand still pressed over his mouth, another locked around his throat. As he moved to struggle, the grip on his throat tightened considerably. Max stopped struggling.

A voice scratched at his ears, almost grating "That's a nice laddie. You calm up and pay attention. My advice ought to be heard. Yes it's important." Max was frozen, not moving a muscle. This woman, for her voice was feminine in tone, was clearly crazy, but in his circumstance, he had no choice but to listen in hopes she would let him go after.

After a moment's pause she nodded, a slight smile creeping across her pale, wrinkled completion "That's better, just keep still." In that moment, her head slumped forward, coming to rest on Max's chest. He moaned, wiggling to no avail, her grip on him still tight as iron. With a rickety breath, she pulled her head from his chest, staring at him with pure black eyes, gleaming like onyx.

She drew a staggered breath, her grip on him going tight then releasing slightly. Her mouth formed words, as if deep in thought or trance. And then, she spoke, her voice rushing like a flowing river, pure like fresh rain "Destiny holds you in it's grasp, child, and she won't let go. She has chosen to bare a great burden on you, the burden that many could not hope to carry. You have a pivotal part to play in this and everyone you touch is affected by it. You are one of few, one of legend. Your death will end in misery..." her voice trailed off, Max frozen, not by fear but shook at her words.

And then her head tipped back, blue veins throbbing at her neck, a black light pouring from her mouth and nose, her long nails clawing at Max, as if trying to fend herself.

Her tone rose in pitch, her limbs jerking as she half-sang, half-wailed "Death shall come and strike the land, the kingdom shall fall by it's own hand, a promise of hope will cast the dice, the blood of One will only suffice!" Her head tilted forward, her eyes still that deep, shiny black as she stared into Max's sharp green. They flickered, flashing to cobalt. Her raspy voice returned "Max, one who is marked by Destiny, you have been warned." And as the last word left her mouth, she collapsed onto her side, falling off of Max.

Max gasped, hoisting himself away from the woman, resting back on a dusty wood desk, his breathing coming in ragged gasps. And in his heart, he knew she was telling the truth.

*******************************

DragonDog1: Wow, so I hope you enjoyed this chapter, took me quite a bit to write. If you did in fact like it, feel free to vote and comment. Thanks!