Babysitting a seventeen year old (3)

Chapter 3

“Heather, can we go into your brother’s room, please?” I asked angelically.

She looked up at me sceptically. But then she just shrugged her shoulders and led me down the hallway and away from her very pink bedroom.

“We can’t touch anything because he’ll know, OK?” I nodded. I was a bit nervous, I was told not to go in here, but my curiosity had gotten the better of me.

“Are you ready?” I nodded again and slowly Heather opened the door to Kalum’s bedroom.

I took a hesitant step in, glancing round the room. I was particularly looking for something incriminating. You know, dead bodies, half naked prostitutes? That kind of thing.

Before I could stop myself, I let out the words I had been thinking. “Where are all the dead bodies?!”

Heather’s little head shot up towards mine, and I’m sure she must have cricked her neck. “What do you mean? Why would there be bodies in my big brother’s room?” She sounded very anxious and I didn’t know what to say. I mean, I could say; “your brother seems like a bit of a freak so I was expecting bodies.” Or “your brother’s hiding something, so I thought I’d come snoop around in his room.” None of them seemed to cut it. So instead I just pretended like I hadn’t heard her and had a proper good spy around his room.

“What are you looking for?” Heather chirped.

“…Nothing. I’m just… trying to see if your brother is…Never mind! I’m just interested ok?”

I was looking at all the photos on Kalum’s desk. There were photos of him and his friends, him playing football and one of him and a very beautiful girl. I picked the one of him and the girl up; he had his arms wrapped around her waist and they were both laughing and pulling faces at the camera. By the looks of it, she was his girlfriend.

I smiled at the photo, it was adorable. It gave me a funny feeling inside; a warm feeling, they looked really happy together and it made me happy.

I was pulled out of my reverie when suddenly I heard a noise that resembled, a key being put into a lock, coming from downstairs. My eyes shot to Heather who grabbed my hand and towed me out of Kalum’s room and towards her own.

Heather shut the door behind her whilst I regained my breath. Once we were both fully recovered from our very short sprint down the hallway, we both listened at the door.

“Heather! Heather my darling, where are you?” Uh-oh. Mrs.Sutton frantically shouting from the front door reminded me that I hadn’t rung her back after Kalum’s mischievous trick.

I gently pushed Heather out of the way and barrelled down the stairs to the front door, where a panic-stricken Mrs. Sutton waited.

 “You! What have you done to my house? What have you stolen? Where’s my daughter?” She was pointing an accusing finger at me and looked pretty darn scary.

“I… Well, I uh,” I scratched my head trying to think of something to say. “Kalum lied when he rang you.” I sighed, there was no point in covering for him, and he deserved whatever punishment he got.

Heather pushed her way past my legs and ran up to her mother, draping her small arms around her legs. “Mummy, you’re home early!” She giggled excitedly.

“What do you mean Kalum was lying?” She sighed and picked up Heather. “What’s he done now?” It looked almost as if she had to ask the question several times a day. The bored expression on her face gave it away.