FRIDAY'S GLUTTONY

FRIDAY'S GLUTTONY

December 21, 2012

"Clarissa, it's so nice to see you again!" exclaimed Mama Gilbert as she hugged me before turning me around to inspect my figure. "Ooh girl, you are gonna make me some beautiful grandbabies!"

GRANDBABIES?!

Frantically, I searched the store for Franklin who had suddenly disappeared from my side.

"Boy, if you don't come and rescue me from your mother!" I texted him as I thought it would be rude to make a phone call while she and I were shopping. Franklin, his father and his brothers were all around but strategically placed throughout the store to give Mama Gilbert one-on-one time with me.

Oh joy.

The first time I met Franklin's mother, I was a skinny little sophomore in high school. She said I needed titties to get a man so for the rest of my high school years, she fed me peach cobbler and womanly advice. Next thing I know, I got titties AND ass and all the boys' attention! Thank you Mama Gilbert!

The next time I sought Franklin's mother's advice was at our high school graduation. By then, her son had popped my cherry but he didn't know how to treat a lady so I told her that he and I were just friends. She told me friends make the best lovers. Mmkay... See ya later Mama Gilbert.

The last time I saw Franklin's mother, she told me that her son told her he loved me. She said he hadn't been the same since he and I broke up. That was the day we graduated from college. She said he would do anything for me if I loved him back.

Turns out I felt the same way. Not that I would ever admit it!

"I just knew you two would get back together!" Mama Gilbert said as she hugged me tighter than my winter coat! "And to give me a beautiful granddaughter! Oh! All y'all need to do now is tie the knot and..."

"Mama Gilbert, we're not getting married," I said quickly.

"Child, what do you mean y'all not getting married? It's bad enough neither one of you told me y'all were back together. What's going on with you two, Clarissa?"

"Franklin and I are not together," I said, preparing myself to break Franklin's mother's heart.

Ever since I showed up on her doorstep to be tutored by her son, Sophia Gilbert has made it her mission to see me with Franklin. "I don't want to get married and Franklin is fine with that."

"What about the baby? Will we still get to see my grandbaby?" she asked fearfully as she clutched my belly.

"Of course you'll still see the baby! I'm sure Franklin will need a babysitter from time to time," I replied assuringly.

"Why don't you wanna marry my boy, Clarissa?" Mama Gilbert asked as she directed us to a bench. "Obviously he's good in the bedroom or else y'all wouldn't be giving me this grandbaby. He's a good cook and fine as hell! All the women want him but he only wants YOU! You know you want him too so stop bein' silly and marry the boy!"

Mama Gilbert's delivery was brash but her advice was always on point! Knowing how much she loved me, I didn't have the heart to tell her why her son shouldn't marry a woman like me.

"Mama Gilbert, you can't turn a ho into a housewife," I said sighing.

"I know Franklin's a ho but that's just until he settles down with you!" she said plainly.

Now what now?!

"Child, do you know how I know you're the one for Franklin?" Mama Gilbert asked, holding my chin in her hand.