Chapter Twelve

“What happened in the woods?” I felt his voice echo in my ears.

“Something that doesn’t concern you,” Daryl said not even moving an inch from where he was laying.

“If it involves my wife, I say it does concern me,” Shane said walking around the bed to look Daryl in the eye. I stiffened as he got closer to me. “Abby?” he turned his entire body toward me. “Do you wanna tell me what’s going on?” I couldn’t bring myself to look him in the eye. I didn’t know how to handle this. I couldn’t look anywhere other than my feet.

“It ain’t nothing worse than what you and Lori do in the woods,” Daryl told him leaning up just a little to show he wasn’t scared. Then it hit me. Why am I scared? He’s done far worse than anything I’ve ever done to him.

“You’re talking a lot of shit for somebody who can’t even get out of bed,” Shane said turning his attention back to Daryl. Before Daryl could respond I found my voice.

“Shane, this is not the place,” I told him.

“No, if we’re doing this, we do it here,” he snapped.

“No. Shane. This is not the place. Everybody is literally in the next room. Lower your voice and let’s go outside,” I told him. He sighed heavily and followed me as I led him down the hallway, through the kitchen, and out the front door, knowing all eyes were on us. I kept walking out into the field.

“You gonna tell me what’s going on?” Shane asked stopping before I did.

“Daryl kissed me, okay?” I huffed as I turned around to face him. I felt the heat coming from his face even though he was a yard away. I knew he was pissed but I was even more pissed.

“Do you want him?” he asked surprisingly quietly.

“No, Shane. All I’ve ever wanted was you. Ever since high school, I’ve wanted you. I remember when I finally told you after our junior year and the look on your face. I remember our first real date and the first time we had sex. I remember when we moved in together and when you finally proposed. Every memory I have with you is better than the last and what I don’t understand more than anything is why your memories with me aren’t happy.” I started crying and shaking and he walked closer to me.

“My memories are happy, Abby,” he said as he tried to grab my hands but I shook him off and took a step back.

“Then why are you chasing her?” I asked him. “I’m not stupid, Shane. I see it every single day. The way you look at her, you used to look at me like that. Now I’m just a burden to you,” I told him throwing my hands up. “I’m trying so hard to keep you here with me but you just keep wandering away. I don’t want to force you to be with me, Shane. I want you to want me more than her.” I was surprised that he even knew what I was saying. My voice was breaking so badly that I wasn’t even sure what I was saying. There was nothing but the sounds of my own whimpering for just a few minutes but he finally forced his way into my arms. He just held me while I collapsed and cried in his arms.

*****

I woke up in my tent the next morning. I wasn’t sure how I had gotten there but I knew it was late in the morning. I stretched and looked around for some fresh clothes and by the time I had gotten changed, Shane peeked his head in.

“Hey, uh, we’re getting ready to go shoot. You wanna come?” he asked, almost scared to come all the way into the tent. I nodded as I whipped my eyes. He smiled and made his way over to me and wrapped his arms around me again. “You’re so cute when you just wake up,” he whispered in my ear. I smiled and hugged him back. “I won’t ever let you go.”