Chapter Sixteen

For the next few days everything was quiet. Shane was spending more time with me which I loved but it still confused me to all hell. I still had no idea what was going through his mind most of the time but I was just enjoying the fact we were together. Daryl was staying closer to the group and was more involved with us all but kept his distance if Shane and I were together. I’m still not completely sure what’s going through his head either but there was no tension and for that I was thankful. It was decided that Rick and Shane take Randall our once he’s able to walk and today was that day. While they were out taking care of that, Lori, Andrea, Maggie, and I focused on Beth. We took turns watching out for her and keeping her company now that she was awake and lucid. I was with her, talking about how cute Patrick Swayze was in dirty dancing but she didn’t want to make conversation. Lori came in with a lunch plate.

“Knock, knock,” she said before walking in and setting it on the table beside her. Beth sat up and eyeballed the food. “How about when you’re done eating we will get you up and outta here and take a walk. What do you say?” Lori said looking at how beautiful it was today.

“It’ll do good to be outside,” I told Beth, not seeing anything wrong with the girl getting some fresh air.

“You’re pregnant,” Beth said not making eye contact with either of us but we both knew who she was talking to. “How could you do that?”

“I don’t really have a choice,” Lori told her.

“You think it will make a difference?” Beth asked and Lori couldn’t find her words.

“Of course it will. Now you eat something,” I told her before getting up and guiding Lori out of the room.

“What was that?” Lori asked me once we were out of the room.

“I don’t know. She’s seriously depressed. The shock has just gotten worse since she’s been up. We just have to be patient,” I told Lori.

“I’m sorry, Abby. I hope you know that,” Lori said out of nowhere.

“Why are you sorry?” I asked confused.

“You know with what happened with Shane. I just hate that nothing will ever be the same between us,” she said with her hand over her mouth. Honestly, her and Shane were the last thing on my mind right now and I didn’t appreciate her bringing it up like that. “I just know he thinks the baby is his and-”

“You know what, Lori? Shut the hell up,” I told her before she could keep talking. “I don’t give a rat’s ass what happened with you two. It’s over now and there is no need to bring it up ever again,” I said before stomping past her and walking outside for some air. Once I took a seat on the rocking chair, Andrea rounded the corner and sat beside me.

“What’s on your mind?” she asked.

“Just how fucked up everything is,” I told her.

“I bet it’s hard having to look at them together every day,” she said with an empathetic smile. I just looked at her dumbfounded.

“Does literally everyone around here know?” I asked and she just shrugged. “I guess none of us hide it. Shane is very obvious about his feelings and Lori is an idiot.”

“And you always look so hurt. That doesn’t help,” she tried to keep it light but it wasn’t really working. I just sat in the chair looking toward camp. I spotted Daryl carving arrows out of sticks right as Andrea brought him up. “He’s a nice guy under all that red neck,” she said.

“Who? Daryl?” I asked her wondering how she knew that was who I was looking at. She nodded before she kept talking.

“He really cares whether he wants to show it or not. He can’t help it. He’s a hell of a lot nicer than his brother.”