Dreamscape

The Sun was setting off in the west as Emily crossed the barnyard and approached a figure hard at work.

"It's been a long time." He said without looking up.

The muscles in his back stretched and relaxed with each pitchfork of hay he tossed.

"You look just like I imagined you Kyle."

The first of the characters she'd made as a love interest in her imagined Valoryn Universe.

"I'm surprised you remember me."

His voice remained steady but she could tell he was hurt.

"Of course I remember you."

He turned to face her. "Do you remember the love?"

"Yes, because I wrote it. I made it so."

"How could you carelessly toss me aside for him?"

Sometime during the conversation Kegan Ashwood had appeared at her side unnoticed. The Second love interest and by far the favorite if his recurring role were an indicator.

"You were not carelessly tossed aside. You were my first but you wouldn't be the last. You couldn't."

"She's mine." Kegan wrapped his arm around her shoulders.

"Ashwood you're such an ass." She shrugged off his arm. "Kyle I did love you. There will always be a tender place in my heart for you. But the stories need to move forward, grow. Progress."

Kyle's form sifted away like sand in the wind at her words. His eyes were filled with sadness as he disappeared.

"Would he give his life for you? Would any of the others?" Kegan asked as the farm disappeared. "Like future me did."

"They all would. The are designed to." She said.

"How can you love four completely different men?" He led her through dark tunnels, the earth shook above them.

"Because I want four different things."

"None of them will make you happy."

"And you will? Do you know why I continue to write you into my stories?"

"Because I'm your one and only. Future me knows that best because future you chose him. That's why I'm confident I will remain at the top."

"I continue to write you because I like the dynamic between our characters. I love fighting with you. The back and forth is addictive."

"That may be true but you hold a torch for me."

The tunnels opened into a large chamber. Eldon Thatcher stood just inside.

"One day you will have to choose between the two of us love." Eldon said.

"I think I did a long time ago. The clone of me that loved you died. I'm truly sorry for that Eldon, I am. As much as I hate to admit it, most especially to his face. It's always been him."

She didn't bother to remind Eldon that Kilee had called dibs.

Eldon smiled a sad smile. "I'll never stop fighting for you."

He would. Even now Emily was writing him in love with Kilee. A true believer like herself, she lived the world of Valoryn.

"Give up like a Gentleman." Kegan warned, his jealousy showing.

Eldon made a retort that Emily didn't hear as she walked away from them, posturing like peacocks. Two men who should be friends but despised each other because she'd written them as rivals.

"You look troubled lass."

She looked up into Gerald's smiling face. At some point she'd left the tunnels and was now on a grassy hill.

"Man trouble."

"They don't understand their place in your world."

"And how is it that you do? My first impression of you on that prison ship was that you were kind of stupid." She teased.

"I was the only man there who saw through your disguise."

"So you're just unlucky then."

"I wouldn't say that."

"What is he doing here?" Kegan asked angrily as he and Eldon approached.

"Unlucky." Em repeated.

"Why would you create him when you had us?" Eldon asked confused.

"Neither of you were right for his part. I needed a character I hadn't met yet. He probably won't be the last."

"We need to talk." Kegan threw Em over his shoulder and walked away.

"Unhand her." Eldon started after them.

"It's fine Eldon." Em waved him away. In truth she liked it when Kegan carried her off. "Where are we going Ashwood?"

"I never did like it that you use his first name but my last."

"Kegan, where are we going?" She asked starting to get annoyed.

"Away."

When Eldon and Gerald were no longer in sight he sat her down.

"What do I need to do to be the four men you want?"

"What?"

"I'm willing to change. To be like all of us. Everything you could want."

"But then you wouldn't be the ass that I love to hate. To be like Kyle you'd have to be a farmer. That lifestyle wouldn't suit a fighter like you."

"I'd do it."

"And resent me for it. Eldon is romantic and sweet. While desirable I admit it could become over bearing for someone such as myself."

"And Gerald?"

"He's Scottish."

"Me?"

"You've got a bit of gypsy in you. You wander yet when I need someone you've always been there. You give me space. And anything I give you, you give right back. You can hold your own and I admire that."

"Then why isn't it enough?"

"I told you once I wasn't sure how fully I could love. When you asked me how much future me loved future you."

"She loved him enough to die for him."

"That she did. But then again none of this or that is real. One day I'll have to give up even you for a man of flesh and bone instead one made of paper and pen."

"My memory will always compete with him for your heart."

She sighed.

"I'll always be in here." He took her in his arms and bent to kiss her.

Her eyes fluttered closed.

Emily woke before his lips met hers. Frustrated she turned on the bedside lamp. She stared in shock. Her written words had become life and that life stood before her. The four men of her dreams looked down at her expectantly.