Love?

When I got back home I ended up telling Austin the whole story when he asked how things went. He hugged me, which made me kind of uncomfortable. I always hated hugs unless I was crying, well except when they came from Alex. He was allowed to hug me whenever he wanted. 

Anyway, Austin told me not to think much about what happened in the car. He said that chances were that that was a one time deal. I hoped he was right, though he was slightly concerned about the ice cream in my hair thing. He’s afraid his fans are becoming a serious threat to me. I don’t think it’s THAT big of a deal, but what do I know? 

Austin told me he wanted my opinion on the next cover he was doing. Neither one of us knew the name of the song. It’s one of those you hear on the radio all the time and know every word to, but never know the name of. He told me his guitar teacher had taught him how to play it using two chords he’d never learned until the other day. At first he just played the guitar part, and then the second time through, he sang. Being that it was my favorite song I actually had a hard time not singing along. 

He smiled at me when he finished playing. “What do you think? Did it sound good?” I thought about it and pointed out how the third verse seemed like it was missing something. “That‘s what I thought,” he said. “In the original song there‘s a girl singing with him. It sounds weird without it. My mom thought the same. Now I just need a girl that‘s be willing to sing that part for me.”

He did a double take and looked at me with a huge grin on his face. “No!” I exclaimed.

“Come on Olivia! You can‘t sound that bad. I know you can do it. I just need the extra layer with a higher voice. You won‘t even have to be on camera when I film it. I promise!”

I shook my head. There was no way I’d ever let him hear me sing. Kylie was the only one that had ever heard my singing voice. Even Dillon missed out on that adventure. I just didn’t think I sounded good enough. 

“Please! Just sing along with me once so I can hear what it would sound like. I can even shut the door and make my mom go to the basement so they can‘t hear you. Just you and me.”

I shook my head again. There was no way. If I put my voice on a soundtrack with Austin, both his and Alex’s fans would hate me seventy times more. Austin pushed the door to the room shut and we heard the front door slam. “My mom just left. We‘re the only ones in the house. Please.”

I made a face. I was giving in, but I wasn’t going to tell him that. He strummed his guitar. “Come on. It‘s not like you‘ll be singing alone.”

I sighed and I guess he took that as an answer, because he started playing the song. I was nice and I sang along, but really quietly. At the end he looked at me. “That was good, but would you mind singing a little louder? It won‘t count until I can hear you.” I glared as he started the song again and I sang along louder.

Austin put down his guitar when we finished the second time. “That was awesome. Especially the third verse. I‘m going to see what Scott thinks about putting you on the song tomorrow.”

“No!”

He smiled and laughed at me. “Don‘t worry. I‘ll be the only one there when you record. Even if he has me do this one at the studio. I‘ll play my part through the headphones and you‘ll just have to sing along.” 

“No! All of those girls will just hate me even more. Have you even considered the fact that all of them hating me could be ruining your career? I don‘t care if I‘m ruining my chances, but I want to fix yours and that‘s probably not the right way to do it.”

Austin sighed and the smile finally faded off his face. “You‘re not ruining anyone‘s career. Not mine, or yours, or even Alex’s. Who cares if those girls are a little bit jealous and some of them hate you? It doesn‘t matter. Truth is a lot of them are coming back to where they were before all of this, begging for more posts on Twitter and trying to get us to do more Ustreams. The only thing they won‘t do is apologize. Things are going to blow over soon enough; especially with all of the protest we‘re getting.”