prologue | problems, problems

|| A N G E L O ||

Thursday

"I don't know what it is that you want from me, but I can't give it to you."

"Who said that I wanted anything from you?" Her voice was barely audible, but I was able to hear what she had said loud and clear.

Valerie was seated on the other side of the living room, on the nasty orange colored couch that occupied the space of the living room. She was leaning forward, her elbows propped on her knees and her head was hanging down. Her long, black, and curly hair covered most of her face, not allowing me to see her eyes. I knew that she was feeling a type of way from the way she sighed when I took too long to answer her.

She shook her head and walked over to me, slapping me across the face. "Is this how your mother raised you to treat a lady?" She slapped me again, dazing me for just the moment. "Huh? You can't even look me the fucking face!"

I watched as she hovered over me, her rapid breathing causing her chest and breasts to rise and fall with a quick ease. Brushing the hair from her face, she locked eyes with me and shook her head. I honestly was thrown off by her sudden violence, but that was just how she was. She could be unpredictable. After only knowing her for a year, I've learned her like I've learned the back of my hand. She's a recluse—one that never likes to admit the fact that she's one who's an emotional introvert. If I wanted, I could have complete control over her, but I'm not that type of guy.

"Look at yourself," she yelled, pacing the floor back and forth. "What the hell is it that you want from me? Huh, Angelo? You've been acting as if I'm the one that initiated this whole thing."

"I was only trying to help you," I answered in my sincerest tone, rubbing the spot where she slapped me.

"Help? You were trying to help me? Please! You only wanted the ass I could offer you."

"You may be right," I stood up and approached her. "Never did I think that we'd come this far after a year. This right here never crossed my mind, Valerie." I said in a low tone. I was never the type to yell, it was too stressful and a strain to the voice.

She looked at me with watery eyes, shaking her head and turning her back to me. "Angelo, I don't know what the hell you're doing to me. Stop it!"

"How can I stop doing something when I have no idea what you're talking about? Huh? You're standing here being all emotional, tell me what the hell is that's on your mind." I grabbed her arm and turned her around, holding on to her tightly.

"Let me go!" She yelled, slapping my hand away. "It's that mess right there that causes me to be this way. Did you see how you just grabbed me?"

"And you just slapped me twice,"

"I'm not your woman!"

"Then why do you continue to live in my house?"

Oh, it got quiet after that. Shrugging my shoulders, I walked back over to the couch I was sitting on and sat back down, kicking up my legs and pulled out my phone. I scrolled through the random social media pages I owned, but never really indulged in them. Social media was addicting and I refused to be one of those people that forgot what real and true human interaction was.

After doing the scroll through, I tossed my phone on the table and looked at Valerie. She was standing in the same spot, her arms crossed, but her back was to me. I couldn't tell whether or not she was crying, but I knew she was feeling something. While she wasn't paying me any attention, I took the time to actually look at her.

It was crazy how I've known this girl for a year and didn't know much about her, other than taking the occasional free moment to learn about her. It was weird how I welcomed this girl into my home without knowing her background. But, at the time, I needed her. I had my own demons inside of me and when I met her, she seemed to make them disappear. I just wish that I would've met her under different circumstances.

Valerie stood at 5'9", rich brown skin, and long natural hair from her Bangladeshi ancestors. Her lips were pouty, but plump, and her eyes were enticing as hell. I think that's what really had me captured to her. I don't know if it was the alcohol of the night or what, but I wanted her in ways I had never wanted a girl. She was a breath of fresh air from my ex Regina, so I kept her around. But as time started to pass, I realized that she was like a leech. I couldn't get rid of her. I was too attached.

"Look, Val," I kissed my teeth and sighed, hating how soft I was about to sound. "You know I didn't mean that. Alright? Look, I'm sorry. I kind of got beside myself a little and if I hurt your feelings, I'm sorry."

At my words, she turned around and looked at me. "You throw that in my face every time we get into an argument. Why do you do that?"

"It slipped. Alright? Sometimes, I just forget about how much I need you. Look, I'm sorry. Are you going to accept my apology or what?"

"Okay," she said, walking over to me and hugging me. "Apology accepted."

A smile covered my face when she pulled away and I noticed how bright her eyes were. She was so intoxicating. Sometimes I wonder if I made a mistake by letting her live in my sheets.