Chapter 4: The Next Right Thing

A/N 1: You wanna know something?... I've fucking forgot this existed for a hot sec... Damn away-from-home vacations and procrastination. I'm sorry I was gone for so long. I'm back now and working on it again. Angst time, my dear children. 
A/N 2: Another excuse for having done this late uh- I have senior thesis deadline things coming up very soon and very fast. If the thesis isn't good, I can't graduate... Damn school. Plus, I got other school things in general due, so the story isn't gonna be my primary focus. Hopefully, though, my focus can drift off just a bit so I don't forget that the story still exists :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Amity sat in Luz's room, looking out the window forlornly at the moon.

It's been 4 days since Luz was supposed to come back... Why wasn't she back? Everyone had waited excitedly as they opened the portal door, hoping Luz would step through... They waited for hours... The same thing happened the day before... And yesterday... They didn't try today. Amity had texted Luz each of those days, telling her crush how excited she was for Luz to come back.

She hasn't replied back...

Did one of them do something wrong? Did... Did Amity do something wrong? She's been asking herself that question when Luz didn't show up on day 1. 

Amity absentmindedly fiddled with one of the cat ears on Luz's hoodie. No... It wasn't her fault... Though it felt like it. Maybe something happened back in the human realm? Yes, that's it. But what could be stopping Luz from coming back? No one knew a lot about the human realm, despite the 'artifacts' Eda and Gus have from their world and whatever Luz explained to everyone when questions popped up. 

Why did this have to be so difficult to figure out?... Then an idea popped into her head... It's extremely stupid. She could just go over to the human realm and find  Luz. Amity would need to grab the portal door key from Eda and grab supplies to prepare for whatever dangers and unknowns in the human world... Amity bit her lip anxiously. By the Titan, what was she thinking?... This is extremely stupid and dangerous... Luz would do it regardless if the roles were switched. The decision was final then. She can't tell anyone though, they'd try to stop her or, the most likely answer, go with her. Just imagine, 2 grown adults and many children with no knowledge of the human realm walking into the human realm... One of them would certainly die. Amity had to do this alone. For Luz...

Amity immediately left the Owl House. Hooty tried to follow and talk to her, but she managed to scare him off. She ran back to the Blight Manor and went inside. She ignored her siblings' small greetings as she rushed upstairs and made a beeline to her room. She grabbed a bag and started packing. She would need to pack only bare essentials since she's only going to find Luz and bring her back to her second home. She would need a couple of days of clothes, depending on how long it'll take, and snacks too for the same reason. She reached for her scroll and crystal ball but hesitated. Would she really need these? They were essential if something did happen while Amity was over there, but... She wanted this to secret in the first place. She couldn't let anyone know. She sighed and grabbed her bag and made her way downstairs to the kitchen. Her father and mother were nowhere in sight... They must have been called away to a meeting or something.

"What's the bag for, Mittens?" Emira asked before Amity made it into the kitchen. She and Edric were doing spells in the living room, probably to tease each other or practicing to do something stupid. 

"I'm going to be staying at the Owl House until Luz gets back. I just need to grab a few things." Amity lied with a straight face. 

Emira quirked an eyebrow as she used a spell to push Edric off the couch. She turned as her brother plopped to the ground with an 'oof'. "Oh no! Dear sister, I've fallen and I can't get up.  How could you do this to your own twin brother!" Edric cried dramatically from his spot on the floor. Both the twin started laughing, then Emira turned to confront Amity again, but she wasn't there. 

Amity grabbed a few different snacks from the closet and shove them into her bag. She didn't have human currency, so she can't buy anything while she's there. Gotta be pre-prepared, she thought. After that, she left the house and made her way back to the Owl House. The light outside was starting to dim, leaving the sky a beautiful sunset color. But Amity's mind wasn't focused on the sunset, her mind wandered to all the different possibilities on why Luz could be stuck on the other side. There weren't that many because of her limited knowledge of the other realm.

Is there some kind of monster in the human realm that exists there and Luz can't currently stop it?
Maybe she's really sick?
Maybe something to do with her mom?...

Amity remembered Luz's reaction when Grom took the form of Luz's mother. Luz looked absolutely terrified about her mom finding out about the Boiling Isles and being lied to where Luz has been the whole time instead of where she was supposed to be in the human realm.

But Luz made sure that she would get back to the human world that day she left on time. She would appear before the .. Bus is what she called it, arrived and make it seem like she was at whatever camp she was supposed to go. Did the plan fail?

Amity walked into the Owl House and stood in the living room. Amity had to confirm what was going on. Now to figure what Eda would hide the portal key. Where was Eda? Lilith and King weren't anywhere either. Amity walked up to Luz's bedroom and saw a note on the makeshift bed. She picked it up and it read:

Amity, 
Lilith and I took King to the park. Gonna drop King off at the house so Lilith can have a Girl's night with me. Wanna make sure she doesn't explode literally or figuratively from stress. Make sure to watch King while we're gone. Don't worry about Hooty. See you in a bit.
From,
Eda
p.s. Don't worry about the situation with Luz. She's a strong and capable kid. Probably got sick or got caught up with some minor thing at home. Nothing she can't handle.

Amity smile, but her face fell. Now she felt guilty. Everyone will be worried when they find out Amity isn't here. Willow and Gus will freak when they find out... There's no going back now though... Amity placed the note back on the bed and make her way to Eda and Lilith's room. The room had a bed now, next to Eda's nest, after Lilith complained to her younger sister about back pain from sleeping in the nest when Lilith started living here. Amity walked up to the nightstand. There was the key, surrounded by a notepad (mostly filled with glyphs), an elixir bottle, and other small and shiny trinkets that Eda has collected. Amity picked up the key and put the cord it was attached to around her neck. She would need to keep this on her, so she can get back to the Boiling Isles with Luz. 

Amity pushed on the eye on the key and the briefcase popped into existence. It then unfolded itself to form the door. Amity grabbed the handle and opened it, revealing the bright light the portal emitted. Amity looked around the room, before looking back at the portal. Don't worry Luz... Your fearless hero is coming. She took a deep shaky breath and entered.

The door slowly closed, folded itself up, and disappeared from the room with a pop.

----------------------------------

A/N 3: Me - *Keeps typing 'Amity' as 'AMity'
             My Brain - 'Why don't we just relax, we'll turn on the radio! WoUlD yOu LiKe Am Or fM?
A/N 4: I realized that I don't draw any of the characters often. I draw them for my other TOH AU (that I might start the story when I'm done with this one, but idk) You guys should send memes or something in the comments and tell me which character(s) goes with it. I'll post a whole page of the drawn memes b/c I love you guys <3 (Plantonically... I'm taken romantically, sorry :3). Sooooo, sendeth your memes.. -eth.
A/N 5: Yes, the title is a Frozen 2 reference... Obviously... Unless you didn't know that, but now you do. Every time I hear the song, I can just imagine Amity singing it and going to off to find Luz, and it's this whole animation. (Idk how to animate sooooo you might not get that until many years later, sorry.) Of course, it plays differently in my head than in the actual chapter, but it had the energy, y'know?