The One Shooting Star

Mikey led me out of the lair and down the tunnels. I thought he was going to take the way we went last time, but, instead, he led me out to a different section of the tunnels. They all looked the same to me, really. I looked around curiously and smiled as he finally chose a ladder to go up.

It was snowing when he removed the cover. I was still at the bottom of the ladder and watched as the white flakes slowly floated down with a twirling pattern. Each with their own pattern and design, which was fascinating to me, really.

Smiling, I followed him up the ladder and then covered up the man hole cover quietly, trying not to disturb the silence around us. Mikey watched me with a casual expression. When I set the lid in a comfortable place, I got up as Mikey headed to the rooftops. I chuckled and followed up, jumping on the fire escapes. Only then did I realize that the ankle wrappings helped with both silence and to prevent falling.

When we reached the rooftops, he continued leading with a face yet even pace. I kept up with him, only behind him a few steps so that I didn't run into him if he stopped suddenly or turned.

As we ran, I noticed the city. Well, a part of it. Times Square and the other distinguishable parts of New York were in the busiest hub. This was a neighborhood that didn't let much bother it. But the lights of the many buildings were off or dim lighted from curtains or blinds. Every few Windows, there wasn't any light except for maybe a computer or TV. All the others were dark and abandoned.

Mikey stopped and I moved to the side a little to avoid bumping into him. I stopped and turned to him. He smiled at me and jumped up on a billboard, using the shelf protruding from the bottom as a seat. My curiosity got the better off me and I jumped up after him, pressing against the billboard as I scooted behind him to sit by him without being by the edge.

When I did sit down, the wind picked up a little and I felt my mask ends pick up in the breeze and swish around randomly in my face. I blinked widely and moved them away, looking at Mikey with a nervous chuckle. He only smiled, not even being bothered by his mask tails because they were so short.

He then looked up at the sky. I didn't know what to do so I followed his lead, staring up at the starry, deep Navy-sea blue sky. Some stars were bigger than others, and, of course, red airplane or helicopter dots would occasionally flash, distracting my attention.

Then I noticed, only a glimpse, of a streak that shot through the night. It was only a second of a second. if I had blinked, I would've missed it. But I didn't. It was a single shooting star. Amazed and awed, I looked at Mikey of maybe he saw it too, but his gaze seemed to keep at the sky. Was he looking for his own shooting star?

I looked down and swung my legs casually that were hanging down. I set my hands, Palm down, behind me and leaned against them, looking back up at the sky. I wondered how long we were going to be here, but we didn't speak. We just sat there. It wasn't fun, nor was it boring. It was just a casual night. It even stopped snowing and didn't snow for the rest of the night.

Then, right before Dawn, Mikey starting getting up. I smiled and followed suit, stretching out my limbs that seemed to be wanting the warmth after being in the snow and cold for so long. I watched as Mikey smiled at me.

"Was it okay?" He asked, smiling with embarrassment.

"Was what okay?" I questioned. "The night? It was cool. No pun intended..."

He laughed but led down the billboard. I stepped on the edge and he offered a hand. I took it and gently jumped down, smiling at him. He smiled back.

"So my first date with Cindy," he said cautiously.

I paused in mid-step and looked at him. He was looking down now, brushing snow away in one spot with his foot. What was I supposed to say? No this wasn't a date, or it was a decent date?

I chose to say nothing but smile in a shy way, looking down and toward the way back. He looked at me in question since I said nothing, but moved past me and led the way back again.

My head lowered in shame. I wasn't sure if I just hurt his feelings or not....