Chapter 10 - The Lake

A three-day heatwave marked the beginning of the third week of June. Aaron, Paul and I mainly worked in the shade and did little more than meet our minimal obligations. On that Monday, which was the first day of the blistering heat, Richard and I played whist in the evening. But even with all the windows open, we agreed it was too warm to concentrate on even the simplest game, and we retired long before we would normally have done.

On Wednesday evening, it was no cooler. Still, I washed and changed clothes before knocking on Richard's door at the usual time. But instead of calling for me to enter as he usually did, he stepped out into the corridor. I noticed he was carrying a small sack, slung over his shoulder.

"It is too hot tonight for our usual activities," he declared, as he started striding through the castle. I followed him curiously, assuming he wanted me to go with him since he had waited for me to knock before embarking on his mission. "Even whist needs more concentration than I can muster. I have an alternative plan for us. Will you join me on the horses?"

I was not wearing clothes that I would normally have chosen for riding, but agreed nevertheless. The wind in our hair would no doubt be cooler than the stuffiness of the castle, and it was not long before we were in the stables. We untied the horses and Richard attached his bag to Shadow, before we climbed up and set off.

We rode north east for around twenty minutes, when we slowed to a trot. As we approached a large and beautiful lake, Richard leaped off Shadow and tethered him to a nearby tree, such that he could drink if he wanted. I followed suit and gave Nutmeg a pat before I fully took in the scenery.

"This is Gadwall Lake," said Richard. "Named after the birds that are sometimes seen nesting here."

The sun was low in the sky, highlighting pink and orange clouds through the darkening blue. Small fish found nuggets of food on the surface of the lake as it glimmered in the last of the daylight. Lily pads floated lazily on the surface, as toads and crickets could be heard chattering to each other in the otherwise silent evening. Armies of bulrushes fringed the water, as if protecting its serenity from intruders, with gaps in their defences at irregular intervals.

"It is beautiful," I responded to Richard, drinking in my surroundings.

"And much cooler than the castle," he replied.

I looked over to him to catch him peeling off his shirt. I quickly turned to face the opposite direction. Much as I wanted to see what he kept hidden underneath, he was a prince and I needed to show some respect.

"What are you doing?" I asked with my back still turned to him.

"Going for a swim," he replied. "I came here to cool down and that is exactly what I intend to do."

I heard some more shuffling, as presumably Richard removed the rest of his clothing, followed by the sounds of soft splashing and swirling water.

"That is so much better," I heard Richard's voice coming from the lake and assumed it was safe to turn around. His clothes were piled neatly near the tree that the horses were tied to, and I could see his head and shoulders protruding above the surface of the water. "Are you not joining me, Sebastian?"

I hesitated, feeling awkward.

"I do not have means of drying myself afterwards," I pointed out.

"I came prepared," he stated, pointing to the sack attached to his horse. "I have towelling cloths in the bag strapped to Shadow. You are welcome to use one." His head vanished under the water, only to reappear a few seconds later. "The water is very refreshing. You should come in," he urged.