Chapter 13

Lisa and Little Wolf went through the White Rocks portal to Big Springs first. As they waited for the rest of the group to pass through, Lisa realized that her group had gotten awfully big. There were Wayne and his friends, sixteen in all counting the little kids; Jane and Alek; and Ned and his five. Together with herself and Little Wolf, twenty-six people were coming through this portal.

Donna and Ray were the last two through the portal. Once they arrived Lisa asked everyone to sit down around the portal. She stepped up onto the platform to speak. “I’ve just now seen how large this group has become,” she said.

“Now you notice?” Ray asked.

“Yeah. Well, White Rocks and Lone Star were different worlds. People are moving around, trading, doing things. Nobody seemed to mind us. I don’t think that will be the same here.”

Little Wolf nodded. He seemed to know what she meant. “Few travel at all,” he said, “and then only a family or two.”

“That’s right.”

“What should we do about that?” Jane asked.

Wayne raised a hand. “If this world’s more dangerous, I don’t want my children on the road with me. Is there a safe place for them to stay?”

“Yeah, Richmond. In fact, I think Sherrie, Ellen, and Kathy should stay with them. Jane, you and Alek should also go.”

“Why? We ain’t kids.”

“No, but you can help them. I’ll see if the Mayor up there can’t take some time to tell you about the area. We’ll need scouts if we’re to break up those two feuding towns.”

“What about my friends and me?” Ned asked.

“I want you to go with me to Cookeville and Cave City with our goods. Really, there’s only enough to fill two wagons. Let’s see. One of your friends, and someone from Wayne’s group. Ray?”

“Okay. Who’ll guard the wagons?”

“We should be safe going that way. If there are problems we’ll find out on the way, or in Cookeville. I don’t think we’ll have any trouble.”

“Where does that leave the rest of us?” Donna asked.

“You stay here.”

“Among the ruins? Why?”

“Practice. I’m not sure we’ll have to do any real fighting, but everyone should be prepared. Anyway, this is a pretty safe spot. No one’s likely to see us here. Better for us, better for them.”

Lisa looked at Wayne and Dave. “You two, I want you to come with me up to Richmond. Wayne will come back here. Dave stays up there.”

Ned glanced around. “I though you were going with us.”

“Richmond first. I’ve met the Mayor. I can make the introductions. Once that’s done, I’ll come back and we can do some business.”

She looked up at the sky. The sun was still high. There was plenty of daylight left. She turned to Wayne and said, “We’ve got time to make the trip up, and get back here by dark.” He nodded. She addressed the whole group. “Okay, the rest of you, set up camp. Little Wolf is in charge of the camp. Donna, you take charge of the practice.

“Don’t give them trouble. I will be back by dark.”

“Yes, Mommy,” Ray, Allie, and several others replied in unison.

***

Jackson Ross shook Lisa’s hand firmly. “Good to see you again, Miss Herbert.”

“Good to see you, Mayor Ross.” She motioned next to her. “This is Wayne Shuman, and behind him Dave Lawson.”