Chapter 8

Lisa’s and Little Wolf’s arrival on Lone Star was a mix of the familiar and the new. As with White Rocks, this world’s portal was at the edge of a town that had moved since the Rain. The portal was at the town gate, and like at Richmond the two were searched at the gate.

A few things were different. Unlike the other three worlds, trees weren’t that common. Some were clustered around the edges of the town, and a few were actually in town. Most of the plant life was grass, and not green grass at that. They could also see much farther. Lisa guessed they could see farther still if they climbed one of the hills around the town. Even the sky seemed different, bigger and more sweeping.

Their entry into town completed the sense of the new. They were escorted into town by four armed and well-dressed men. They didn’t meet with the town leader, but a Major Willis McCall. He was in charge of something called “The Rangers.” McCall was a big man with gray hair, a bushy gray beard, tanned skin, and a seemingly permanent skeptical expression.

Lisa told Major McCall of her origin, her travels, and her reasons for coming. Little Wolf also had to tell his story. Lisa had to let McCall examine her notebook and her portal manual. After answering what felt like the hundredth question Lisa asked what was going on.

McCall glared for an instant. He leaned back in his chair. “I suppose you kids have been frisked enough. Alright, then, let me tell you what you need to know about us.

“We got hit pretty hard by the Savage Rain. Things went down hill for a long spell. They started getting better in my Daddy’s day, when the Rangers were formed. Those old boys went after every outlaw and every bad town boss there was. They helped the farms and ranches produce like they used to. They saved as much of the old learning as they could.

“We keep the peace these days. I run all the Rangers. There’s a Ranger Captain in every town. He and the Rangers under him keep the peace in each town. All but the road out to Winchester is safe to travel day or night, and it’s safe to go up there during the day.

“Follow the laws, and the Rangers are your pals. Break them, and we’ll hunt you down till you give up or die.”

Lisa glanced at Little Wolf. “I’m impressed. You?”

He nodded. “They sound like great warriors.”

“Major McCall,” Lisa said, “you heard what we said about Big Springs, right?”

“I heard.”

“I know you barely know me, and I know this is alot to ask, but is there some way...”

McCall shook his head firmly. “No Ranger I command is taking one step through any portal unless I know he’s in no danger.”

“Is there any way I can change your mind? Anything I could do to make you believe me?”

“I do believe you, Miss Herbert. Bad guys start complaining almost as soon as we bring them in. You two answered every question, let us look over your belonging, and never said a peep. If you were lying, your story would’ve stopped making sense awhile ago.”

“Oh. Thanks, I guess.”

McCall smiled a modest smile. He looked at both travelers before speaking. “I’ll tell you a little secret, if you promise to keep it in this room.”

“Sure.”

“My youngest will probably marry in a couple years. I plan to retire as soon as she’s hitched. Day after that, I had planned to put together a team of the best young folks I could find, turn on our portal, and see what’s going on beyond our planet.”