Chapter 4

I'm really not suited for this.

Her parents, just as she thought, announced they will be leaving the country to travel out for an international game. This meant - leaving her alone once again.

She was used to it, so it wasn't that big a deal. However, the change in their attitude was evident.

After Oikawa's little monologue at the dinner table, they had not once asked about anything related to the sport, but instead, began to inquire about her studies.

This made her wonder, if his words actually had an effect on them?

But it also made her think, if she ever made an attempt to communicate with them herself?

Maybe the fault didn't lay just with them, but with her as well. She acknowledged she was wrong too, and thus, couldn't blame just her parents for not being able to read her mind.

She watched her closet, picking out item after item with her eyes, examining them closely. None of them fit the look she was going for today.

Should she call-

No. Akari thought. No use in getting her all worked up. She will annoy the hell out of me if she hears about this.

Oikawa's proposition for a date caught her off guard. It took her a good one minute of staring into empty space and blinking before she could utter a quick "okay," and walk back into her house.

Though, it took her a good ten minutes to realize, what it was that he asked her, and cancelling now, would just cause him to sulk.

But why would she care? Let him sulk, it's not like it should even matter whether she rejects him or not. However, she couldn't seem to pick up her phone and text him that dreaded message.

"I probably looked like a moron." She thought, as she looked herself up and down in the mirror.

With the corner of her eye, she noticed a floral white dress, down to her mid-thigh, fitted tightly around her waist.

She took it off the hanger and threw it on.

It was the first time she wore it since her mother bought it for her from her trip to Argentina.

She gave a twirl in the mirror, before shrugging, and grabbing a hairbrush. As she tied her hair into a ponytail, she got herself into a pair of white strap-on heels.

Realizing she didn't have much time left before she had to leave, she quickly grabbed her jean jacket and a purse, quickly strutting downstairs.

"I'm leaving." She said, grabbing the keys off the table and walking to the front door.

"And where do you think you are going?" Her dad came out of the living room, his arms crossed. "You look too nice today."

"Wow, thanks." She said, sarcastically. "I'm meeting with a friend."

"Is this friend of yours that Toru?"

"I can't believe you remember his name." Akari stood there in fake awe.

"You have your mother's humor." Her dad sighed. "Alright. Just be back before ten."

"You aren't going to stop me?" Akari blinked in amusement. "Do you actually like him?"

"No." He said, agitated. "No way. That boy is as annoying as a needle in my as-"

"Dear! Can you come help me?" The both of them turned in the direction of Akari's mother's voice.