Whatever It Takes

Shafira stood with her mouth hanging open. Shocked, yet mesmerized by the sight of the creature that slithered from her captor's mouth. Her mother had warned her that this man wasn't what he seemed, but this was more than she thought possible. Sure, she knew aliens existed, that was what she had trained for after all. To be this close to one and have it tell her through its host that she was just like it, was simply unbelievable.

She watched and waited for the perfect opportunity to strike. Her mother had trained her for this day, the day she would put a stop to the fear of being discovered. She knew exactly what she was and this creature was certainly not it.

With one sweep of her hand, she ripped the creature from its host's mouth and studied it as it wriggled in her grasp. "I am nothing like you," she stated, looking it in its beady, black eyes. "I don't excrete slime."

She didn't bother looking over her shoulder when she heard the thud as the host collapsed to the floor. He was dead the day the creature took him over. Her search for something sharp took her to the kitchen where she found a knife, which she used to cut the creature in two.

It took an hour for her mother to find her after she made the call from a comms device she found discarded on the coffee table. Green arrived too and took the plastic wrapped creature from her dangling hand when her mother enveloped her in a crushing hug. He left them alone to put it in the trunk of the car.

"Did it say how many of them there where?" Jones asked as she released her daughter and stepped back to study her appearance.

Shafira nodded. "There were four of us born that night. Three like that," she pointed in the direction Green had left, "and me."

"Damn, then there's one more. Did it give you any idea who it possessed?"

This time Shafira shook her head.

"One more and we're home free, Sweetie. We just have to bide our time and hope it shows itself."

"What about Green? Does he know what happened that night?"

"Sort of, he's still in the dark to all the details though I think he has his suspicions. We'll have to keep an eye on him, just in case."

"What if he finds out about what I can do?" Shafira asked under her breath as Green entered the house again through the back door.

"Let's get you home, Sweetie," Jones said for Green's benefit. "We'll deal with that later if we need to, whatever it takes."