Prey

Intensive testing and training saw Annabel excel in hand to hand combat with the bureaux's best agent, a young girl named Shafira. She had never beaten her, nor had she ever lost to her. Both had fought relentlessly against one another, seeking the other's weakness, but never finding it.

During a training exercise in an abandoned property, Annabel felt different. While most of the others were checking out the basement, she and Brown had been left guard on the first floor.

She could smell him several rooms away. The stench of cheap aftershave mixed with stale sweat and cigarettes, the faint lingering aroma of gunpowder, the ham sandwich he ate for lunch. But beneath it all, flowed the most potent elixir: fear.

Annabel closed her eyes and inhaled, comparing the effect of the tantalising scent as similar to one that sizzling bacon would have on a starving man. Resistance was futile. Her tongue darted out, tasting the air, allowing the essence of fear to mix with the blood welling in her mouth from biting her own lip. She wanted him, needed him.

Playtime, the voice in her head whispered.

Like a predator, she crept up on Brown, silent under the cover of darkness. His heartbeat raced, beating out a tattoo of her name. The closer she got to him, the more potent his scent became. Stopping with her lips a mere inch from his ear, she sighed in ecstasy, fanning his neck with her breath. She struck swiftly, piercing his chest from behind to withdraw his kidneys, one in each hand. Her interest lay in the small adrenal gland attached to the top of them, which she bit off viciously, tossing the remnant away.  

On the heels of Annabel’s elation came the realization that she had just killed one of the team. She panicked, unknowingly causing the building to shudder. The first floor collapsed under the strain of the tremors, trapping the others in the basement.

Shafira worked from one side, while Annabel worked from the other, digging through the fallen timbers and debris to free them.

Brown disappeared. Evidence of his injury coated the carpet and numerous floor timbers where the debris lay in the basement, but his body was nowhere to be found.