Black Stone

In all the years that I've been alive, I've never dared to even think about the possibility of death too much.  Sometimes a small thought about it would brush my mind, but that was it.  Just for a second was the thought there and then it was gone.  Death was present in my life.  I had seen people get slaughtered before my eyes many times, I've seen people fall form illness, but there had always been a barrier set around my heart and mind.  I mourned those who I didn't know that died, but never did I mourn for too horribly long.  When the time came for the cruel actions of life to seriously show me that they were dominant, that life was dominant over anything else, and death being a part of it, that's when the world around me just shattered that much more.

I stood at the front of a decent sized crowd, the air around me suffocating with sorrow.  Taking in a shaky breath I confidently walked forward to the coffin crafted of black stone.  Any soft chatter among the crowd ceased.  The world was so silent that the only thing heard were my soft footsteps and the faint fluttering of the black cape hanging from my shoulders that flowed down my back.  With a shaking hand I reached out to touch the coffin, a shudder passing through my body as the icy grasps of pure cold flooded from the stone and into my being.  

I closed my eyes and mouthed a simple goodbye before I let my magic run free out of my fingertips.  A small tremor ran through the ground before the stone coffin started to descend into the earth to where the dead have always been said to belong.  The coffin was soon bellow the natural level of the ground, the hole closing up and making it seem as though it was never there.  My hand dropped to my side, my gaze locked upon the ground as I just subconsciously thought about that coffin being bellow my feet.  A coffin that was honestly just a prison of black a cold heartless stone-crafted-final-resting-place swallowed up by the earth beneath the living.  It almost felt as though the earth hadn't just swallowed up the coffin, but all the wonderful memories associated with the being that lay unmoving within it.  My mind was now simply left with morphed thoughts about the past that did nothing but send daggers to my heart.

I heard soft sobs behind me from a few people in the crowd, a decent amount of other people were probably silently crying, and the rest of them standing as still as a statue, silent with stone hard faces as the sorrow of a fallen friend clawed repeatedly at them.  I, myself, stood there with my mind still wandering and to no surprise my thoughts where all focused on the most heart wrenching things.  No tears escaped my eyes, I didn't even know what exactly was going on around me, what was going on with myself.  The feeling of life was practically drained from me, it just kind of felt like life was a whole lie, like there was no reason for me to continue living and honestly there probably really wasn't at that moment.  It all frightened me, to be thinking of trashing my life and knowing all too clear that sorrow was as powerful as ever, a simple emotion dominating a whole creature and their life.  

I let out a small sigh and turned around only to finally realize exactly how much time I had just spent standing there pondering about the world.  The crowd was minimal, the few who remained were leaving at that very second, all of them not wanting to be stuck in a place full of tears and painful memories.  The dead has always been something that people are quick to run from.  I watched the remainder of the people leave, and once I was finally left with the open area of gray life, my legs gave way and the tears came as though I had never cried before.

The world was heartless as ever.  The fact of the murder of my own friend proved it all the more; that the world is full of corruption and sadly the corruption had claimed so many creatures.  Darkness engulfed my soul with a deep navy blue ocean of tears, cracks forming in the ground around me as my magic started to mix with my emotions, driven by the sparks of anger hidden in my sorrow.  The fact I couldn't save him, the fact I didn't even know it happened, that the world is heartless yet not, that people don't seem to heed my words, and so much more.  My mind sped off and reminded me of all the other painful memories of my past, like it always did when something tragic sprung up.  I couldn't help it, couldn't stop the painful series of thoughts.  I missed everyone that I had lost, missed them more than ever and wanted nothing but to go back in time or to be erased from the world at that moment.  

The tears rained on down until my eyes burned and exhaustion hung on my eyelids, my stomach knotting and unknotting itself over and over.  I forced myself back to my feet and with painful steps I left the area, leaving behind my best friend that I had known for far too long.  It wasn't my job or anyone else's to mourn for their whole life, to hate life for being just what it is.  I had to pick myself up and piece myself back together, and as soon as possible.  There were other people to worry about.  I had to help them, for they had always been suffering and the recent death just complicated things that much more.  They would all be morning for the fallen friend, but they'd also all be in danger.  The man who had died had always been so noble, whether his actions spoke otherwise or not.  He was selfless in a way I had never seen before, easy to despise and easy to be admired if you saw through his towering walls.  He knew more than others did and hardily shared the precious information, maybe in fright or maybe because it was just all a part of his task, his task that life had given him.  He'd suffered in a thousand different ways, just as everyone else had and was.  The world would celebrate his departure with only a mere fraction of people that mourned with truthful hearts.  With him gone though, a safety barrier was shattered for so many people.  There was no more safety and it was hard saying if it would ever come back.  

Before me stood a never ending turmoil of pain, but I wasn't going to give up.  With a heavy heart and high sprung hopes I left the area I had just recently claimed my home, but not without simple soft spoken words of departure, "You'll be missed, Oranako."