Chapter XX

Demzan

He was trudging through this dug out graveyard. So many deaths, Cobardon's population will hit a major shortcoming, he thought to himself. Everyone had disappeared off most of the desert, most concentrated near the king's tent.

Something gleaming caught his eye. It was magnificent - a black fire raging on the sword with flickering strands of shadows swinging around it. He neared the magical artifact, kneeling to examine the weapon. Placing his own sword on the ground, he picked up the sword of darkness.

It was perfectly balanced, he awed, while conducting a test on it. He touched his fingertip on the sword's edge and immediately upon contact his skin sliced away. Unbelievably sharp, he commented in his head. How's the grip? He tightly grasped the hilt and swung the sword. It was perfect - it was almost as if the sword was made for him.

He heard shuffling of feet behind him. In slight fear, he spun round, the sword of darkness swinging with him. It was a wounded soldier of Wingbearer hoping to commit a mighty feat before death came. Demzan couldn't care less, he struck with his sword, expecting to knock the warrior off his feet. The blade didn't bang against the soldier, rather it went through the man like knife through butter. The warrior was cut in two, the swipe had been just below the man's shoulder.

He had to keep this, anyway Trevan had gotten their father's sword. It was only fair! He wondered, while sliding the sword into his scabbard, how could the master of such a sword even be defeated?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Taperend

An extremely length horn blew. It obviously meant something. Most probably it meant the rebellions last desperate attempt. Every soldier under the Wingbearer flag seemed to gravitate towards the tent. The once empty circle of land was now flooded with Wingbearer troops. Strangely, the large number of Rulerstead soldiers couldn't stop them.

He was now surrounded by nothing but Wingbearer troops for at least a 100 meter wide, dense circle. All had dedicated themselves to this and only this task. They let the circle build not attacking Taperend and Newtriko at its center. Another curt horn blew and the ring broke.

They raised their weapons in air and rain to the singularity where stood Taperend, with arms elbow deep into opposite sleeve cuffs.

He waited. The first man was coming. It was building, the larger the better! He had to wait. The man was rushing frantically, a sword pointing towards Taperned. The man was barely few feet away. Taperned waited. The sword was twirling and marching through the air, less than a feet away from Taperend's torso. Taperend waited! The blade point was inching towards Taperend's chest, a handspan away. It came closer : less than a handspan, 5 centimeters, 4 centimeters, 3 centimeters, 2 centimeters, 1!

Taperend's hand swung out at that precise moment a globe of fire blossoming from his sleeve cuffs and charred palms. Two safe pockets held Tapernd and Newtriko. The ball of fire spread for meters and meters - devouring and melting every creature. The sphere of flame enlarged its surfaces' shooting wisps of licking flames. The globe blew more and more in size! The whole 100 meter wide ring was burned, the sphere going beyond it burning at least hundred of his own soldiers - a small cost!

Exhausted, he managed to mutter, "Who needs dragons when I am there?" and then fainted and collapsed to the ground.

An hour had passed, he had awoken again and had heard the death toll of nobles. The loss to each army was yet to be determined. Micura, Roger, Merisa, Benz and Sabrina had died. He, Trevan, Demzan, Hapem, Betreal and king Newtriko still lived. The war had been massive and massively foolish - starting with Rulerstead's command to disallow Alicia and Robert's union. Then they had even sanctioned both of them's assassination. This arrogant error had cost much, much more than it had gained anyone.

Anyway, all was over! No more war, no more rebellions, no more extreme stress on wits, no more anything! All had fallen into peace. Now Rulerstead's rule was guaranteed for at least another generation.

He was shocked by the sight in front of him - Hapem smiling. Hapem said, in a relieved tone, to KIng Newtriko, "Come brother-in-arms. Treat my weary mind with an embrace." Newtriko got up, from the chair opposite to Taperend, and casually walked to Hapem.

Hapem trotted to meet Newtriko midway. He spread his arms and in an eager, tight and tired embrace devoured Newtriko. Newtriko's face was buried into Hapem's shoulder; Hapem's back facing Taperend. They stayed there, calm and tranquil, for few moments.

Tpk! Tpk! Tpk! The dripping sound piqued his interest. He looked around and saw Trevan's pallid face staring at Newtriko!

Hapem shoved Newtriko away. Thud! The lifeless body crashed into the ground with a red puncture right on the middle of his torso.

At that very second a click sounded and a blue, translucent spirit sputtered into view. The spirit was of a withered wizard with a triangular beard. It turned to Hapem and with a bow asked, "What is it that you wish?"

Hapem didn't waste a breath.

"Kill every human on Barren Lands except me!"

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Challenge : Why has the spirit appeared?

Hint : Re read midlogue and the poem at Part 3's start.

Comment your answers below.