Chapter XIII

Hapem

"Lay it out for me", Hapem said, "with numbers!" "All right", muttered Taperend, standing with a stern expression over a map in a tent, lying on a high, vantage point. He looked up and said, "It is Lopelanzec, Napemol, Dupark, Wingbearer, The Valley and Rulerstead itself, making up Rulerstead's side of army. We are currently about 50,000 - half on horse, other half on foot. Wingbearer is alone 25,000, same 50-50 ratio. The Valley and Rulerstead together make 25,000 horse-mounted warriors, 10,0000 archers and 5,000 elephant riders."

"You seem impressed by Rulerstead", Hapem blurted when Taperend paused after the long answer. "Well, the king maybe a disappointment but old Roger's army isn't." "True", Hapem paused and then continued, "115,000 warriors from our side." Taperend nodded though they both knew the actual number would be much less from that number.

"Seachurner, The Eye and Morningstar against us. Summing up to 60,000-70,000?" Hapem guessed. "Yes but, you can't forget the cannons on the 251 ships of Seachurners. I believe Merisa is also up to something. Dom, Benz, Merisa, Sabrina : these names are no names of fools. Thus, I am lead to believe they have something else under their pocket. A whole viper's nest maybe?" Taperend said with a shrug.

"Okay, but we have to do something about those ships or else the battle will be over before it ever began." "That is no big problem", Taperend mouthed accompanied by a short sigh, "Benz expects us to come to them. We will. Release the withholden 7th, 8th and 9th squad of each of our three's army. Command them to spread thin while attacking to minimize deaths by those cannons." Hapem blinked and worded with awe, "You are a military genius. My father, Arthur always said to not judge a book by its cover and this phrase was ever accompanied by your example. Today I see the utter truth in those words."

"Shut up! I know I am great but, this is a war, not a soppy drama."

A voice poured into both of their heads, "The cannons are causing too many casualties. My people can't suffer this." The voice was owned by the Lord of Dupark. Hapem was about to telepathically reply when the Lord's voice began again, "I have sent something, use it wisely!"

Roarrrr! Some distance away, a gigantic dragon flew, gouts of fire streaming out of its mouth, frying hundreds in a breath. Hadn't all the dragons been slayed on that night of slaughter, which no one except Taperend had glimpsed? He turned to Taperend leaning beside him and the same expression of wonderment resounded off Taperend's face. Then, he remembered and realization blossomed across his face. Dupark always kept two dragons – a male and a female – so that their precious mounts wouldn't be wiped out in one lost battle. The female dragon, a legendary beast, hadn't been seen in any battle since at least for the last 1,500 years. She was a wonder, a sight for sore eyes.

He looked to his left and found Taperend peering, through a binocular, to the southeast. "Wingbearer", he commented still gaping through binocular.

Hapem clapped and when two high-posted soldiers start marching toward him, he nodded. They immediately turned back half-way to retrieve something.

"I shall ride the dragon for my family's souls still hunger for vengeance, which I shall deliver to them" Hapem stated. Taperend waved  disinterestedly with one hand, too absorbed into spying at the newcomers.

The rattling chain links against the arid ground, roused Taperend's attention. On the unbloodied clearing, the mighty dragon landed, largest to have ever lived since recountable history.

A tangle of ghastly chains was being dragged between the two men, a broad, glinting sphere clenched between the links. Upon the links lay a menacing collar of metal. "That is your weapon? You intend to lift that?"

Hapem gave no reply except a smirk. "Wait a second, do you even know how to ride a dragon? Nobody except your brother, Robert, knew how to do it. No one except him from at least five generations of your family." Hapem twisted his head to an oblique angle and barked, "There are things you learn from your brother."

The two commanders snapped the collar shut against an expressionless dragon's neck. Though the dragon's countenance gave out nothing, her eyes flared with protest and rage due to her mistreatment - her pride was badly injured. I hope she doesn't throw me off mid-flight, he hoped earnestly.

He thought of trying to soothe the dragon but her plain hostility chased that thought out of his mind. Slowly, he snaked to the dragon, climbed it with caution. He wrapped his legs around the pre-donned saddle of the dragon.

Roaaar! With some strain the dragon lifted into the air, her wings swooshing loudly, her gargantuan size dwarfing him to invisibility to any up-looker from the ground. The enormous chains unwound and lengthened for several tens of metres. When she reached her full height, the chain was completely uncoiled. At it's end was attached a wide ball wreathed throughout in long, fatally sharp, needle-like spikes.

The dragon blasted fire forging a path of charred corpses, where it's shadow first past through. The enlarged, halberd head swung in arcs knocking tin-like, tiny appearing soldiers effortlessly of the ground. Their bodies lay punctured when struck by the weapon of mass destruction.

He knew his voice would be drained by the distance. Yet, he yelled to Taperend, "Look to the southeast!"