All you never wanted

A/N: Unedited. Will post the edited version soon. Yeah, this kinda sucks, but I just wanted to post something. And it sucks that I've lost sooo many readers, but I really appreciate those of you who are still reading. Thank you!

----------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 14: All you never wanted

I’m going to prison. At the age of twenty-one, I’m going to be locked behind bars for running over someone. And I thought my life couldn’t be more screwed over than it already is.

“Ronnie, you better come out,” says Katherine, her voice shaking. With trembling fingers, I try to open the door, but my pathetic attempt doesn’t get me anywhere. Finally, Katherine does it for me.

Seeing the shadow of the person I just hit, I feel a huge lump in my throat. “Katherine…”

She grabs my hand, both of us terrified. “Katherine, I’m going to prison.” The person on the ground doesn’t move, but I can see a small pond of blood right beside his head. His dark hair is blood-red. Then it hits me – I killed him.

I freaking killed someone.

So I freak out. “Oh my god, what am I gonna do? Katherine!” I grab her shoulders, shaking her violently. “What the heck am I going to do? I killed someone, I’m going to prison, and then his family is gonna hate me, oh shit I just killed him, and then mom will find out, and –“ I gasp, realizing that a third party is certainly involved. “Oh my god, Katherine! My mom, what is she going to do…oh shit…”

I don’t know what I expect her to do. Comfort me, maybe. Try to calm me down. I mean, that’s what a normal human-being would do, right? So I’m rather shocked when she slaps me instead. Hard.

“Shut up,” she demands, gripping my arm not-too-gently.

The tears stream down my face, and all I can manage is to press out a few incoherent words in between the hiccoughs. “I – ki – killed – so – one – what – t’do –“

“Ron! Ron, hey, look at me,” Katherine interrupts. “He’s not dead, okay? Or at least I don’t think he is.” She casts a glance at him, looking like a big question mark.

“That’s –n – not very re – ssuring,” I stutter, sobbing pitifully. 

Katherine goes to check his pulse. Her hand is shaking so hard that it takes her almost a minute only to touch his skin.  As soon as her fingertips make contact with his neck, she cringes back, looking scared stiff.

“Well?” I asked breathlessly, mentally chanting he’s dead, he’s dead, he’s dead.

She takes a deep breath, and I prepare myself for the worst; “Don’t be mad, but…” she looks at me apologetically. “I don’t know.”

Losing my last bit of patience – not that I have any – I dart to her side, pushing her away. The person – who I immediately realize is a man – is lying with his back facing me, so I kneel down, and carefully try to turn him around. The blood on my fingertips disgusts me, and the sickening feeling worsens when I see his face.

Oh, no, no, no. I refuse to believe it. How is it possible that everything that can go wrong for me does? There’s only so much crap a person can take.

This has got to be karma, a voice whispers in the back of my mind. I scammed this guy for two hundred dollars, and then I abused God’s name to insult him after he saved my life. Now karma’s coming back to bite my butt.

The once so handsome, respectable man of a greedy toad that once saved my life – only to regret it afterwards – looks like all blood has drained from his face. He’s white as a sheet, and the arrogant frown is nowhere to be seen.