| 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐨𝐧𝐞 |

Years of overworking and overachieving pass in the blink of an eye for Elenya. 

After that fateful evening, she never looked at Stefan the same. She stopped visiting the Moors and Maleficent shortly after, for the pain of knowing that her heart belonged to someone else was too much for her to bear. 

As a result, she threw herself into work. She believed the best revenge to get back at her traitorous brother was to live in the castle before him. She quickly climbed the ranks of the monarchy, soon becoming the first woman to become a knight, let alone the King's most trusted.

Now, at the age of twenty-two, Elenya briskly makes her way to the King's quarters. She had overheard higher officials speaking about his plan to overtake the Moors. 

As she enters the King's chamber, she stands at attention. "Your Royal Highness, sir, may I request your presence?" 

King Henry steps away from his balcony and offers a seat to his skillful knight. "Of course, Elenya. What may be troubling you?" 

"I... may have accidentally overheard some of your councilmen speaking about your plan involving our neighboring kingdom." 

"Ah, yes."

"If you don't mind my curiosity, sire, why do you plan on attacking the Moors?" 

The King laughs, making sure to keep his wineglass steady. "Oh, my dear girl. I don't care for the land itself. I only care for the being that lives there." Elenya feels her heart drop. "I-I'm sorry?" 

King Henry stands, returning to his balcony. "Come join me, child." Elenya swiftly stands beside him. The King raises his arm to point at the Moors. 

"In there, a mystical being resides. One with a large amount of power. Too much. Sometimes, I can catch a minor coup d'œil of it. Right from this balcony." 

A faint figure flies over the faraway trees. "See? Right there! There it is!" Elenya clenches her jaw at the small glimpse of her.

"Your Highness, I don't believe it's necessary. The Moors have been reposed there for many, many years after the war, and have not once shown any ill-will since." 

The elderly man stares at the knight. "Do you think it's okay to have a creature like that in this world? It could easily wipe us out! We have to take action before it does."

"She doesn't pose a threat. I swear to you, my King."

King Henry studies the young woman's face, his brow furrowing at her choice of words. As he opens his mouth, a knock sounds on his door. Elenya walks over and opens it, expecting to see a councilman or fellow knight. Instead, she's met with the sight of her brother hauling a bag over his shoulder. 

"Ah, my wool!" 

Elenya steps out of his way, allowing him entry. She stays posted at the door as the King continues conversing with Stefan, beginning to ponder on how to convince the King to leave the Moors be. 

She knows she swore an oath to him and the Kingdom, but she knows she can't have her getting hurt, or worse. She hasn't seen her in six years, but she knows her feelings have not diminished one bit. 

She's a grown woman now. She understands that the woman she loves will never love her back. She also knows that she'll still do whatever it takes to protect her; even if it means her head.

"I suppose since your dear sister knows, it can't do any harm to tell you as well. I'm planning on overtaking the Moors."

Elenya catches Stefan's frantic glance, barely swallowing the urge to scoff. 

"The creatures that live there will prove to be a challenge, but with your sister's exquisite aim, they'll all be killed in no time. Isn't that right, Elenya?" 

The knight racks her brain for an excuse. "I've never been too keen with moving targets, Your Highness." King Henry boisterously laughs. "Oh, you always manage to keep me on my toes, knight. Oh, it's become quite late." The King waves his hand. "You're both dismissed."

Stefan grabs his - now empty - bag and walks to the door. His sister opens it and walks out, closing it behind her. She turns around and sees her older brother watching her. 

"What do you want, Stefan." 

The ragged man bristles slightly under the direct attention. "I want to know what you plan on doing about this... quest." 

Elenya turns around and starts walking away, working her jaw when she hears Stefan's footsteps trailing behind her. 

"The most I can do is talk to the King. Which is what I was doing before you so eagerly interrupted. Anything more severe than that; my head will be on a pike for the entire kingdom to ogle." 

"Well, he's the King. He must know what he's doing."

That stops Elenya in her tracks, resulting in her brother stumbling into her back. "What did you just say?" Stefan regains his balance and tilts his head up. "He's the King. He must be doing this for the resources-"

His sentence is cut short by the slightly taller blonde grabbing his collar and shoving him against the wall, nearly lifting him off the floor. 

"You think the King cares about the land? He doesn't give a rat's ass about it. He's just a power-hungry man-child who feels inferior to the Queen of the Moors." 

Stefan has confusion written on his face, irking Elenya even further. 

"He's planning to kill her, you rag-doll." 

She releases her brother, flexing her fist afterward as Stefan shakes his head, "No. He wouldn't do that. He cares for the wealth-fare of the kingdom, and he's trying to... to make an alliance! That's all!"

"You know, you don't even work for the King, yet you have your head so far up his ass, it's truly unbelievable." The blonde begins walking away, shaking her head in disbelief at Stefan's ignorance. She sighs irately when he continues to speak, "He's been the King for years now. He's wise when it comes to these situations."

"Oh-ho-ho! You of all people should understand that age absolutely does not equal wisdom!"

Stefan scoffs, shoving his hands into his pockets. "You're still angry, aren't you? I'm sorry that she chose-"

"Stefan, shut your bloody mouth."

"- chose me over you, but we can't help who we fall for!"

Elenya pulls her golden hair out of its ponytail and runs her fingers through it, chuckling mirthlessly.

"I told you how I felt about her ages before. You had no right to go behind my back and lie to me! But, I can't say I'm surprised. You've always done that. You've always been a conniving thief, a dastardly liar, and an utter coward!"

"Well, I must be doing something right! After all, guess who has her wings wrapped around my little finger?"

Elenya clenches her fists to prevent herself from kicking her brother where the sun doesn't shine. Taking several deep breaths, she watches as Stefan physically recoils at the sight of barely-restrained fury in her stormy grey eyes.

"You know what, Stefan? Good for you. Truly. If you make her happy, then please, continue to do that. But do not tell me that you have no worries about the King's plan."

The woman turns away, making her way to her private chambers, leaving a stunned Stefan behind.