| 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐞 |

Elenya leans heavily against a tree, her feet aching from her useless marathon to the Moors. Aurora was not there, and neither was Maleficent. She plans to return to the cottage, checking there in hopes that Aurora has locked herself in her room.

The clamping of hooves catches her attention. She turns and sees a familiar boy atop his horse. "You!" Phillip jostles so abruptly at Elenya's shout that he nearly topples off his horse. "Who are you?" Despite knowing the boy has no ill intent, the wound in her heart from hearing those words a mere hour ago sours Elenya's mood further. "I am Elenya, Aurora's mother. Have you seen her?"

Phillip furrows his brow at her words, his breathing beginning to pick up. "I'm afraid not. Are you... are you alright?" He motions his hands toward Elenya's distressed state; her braided hair more leaf than anything, her clothes and cloak damp after falling into a stream, and her chest heaving with every breath. "I'm dandy", she responds sarcastically, before her eyes trail to another familiar figure.

The boy tilts his head, only to be distracted by Maleficent emerging from the foliage. He unsheathes his sword halfway, staring at the dark fae with poorly disguised suspicion. "We're looking for a girl", he says to her, bringing a small smile to Elenya's face as he includes her in his sentiment. 

Maleficent spares Elenya a glance, before tilting her head at the boy, "Of course you are." She raises a hand to her mouth and blows, her magic swirling out and around Phillip, knocking him unconscious. As he falls limp atop his steed, Maleficent walks towards Elenya. "I need a horse", she states absentmindedly, before looking at Diaval. He squawks and seemingly puffs his chest out in pride. 

Maleficent swipes her hand through the air and her magic begins to envelop Elenya's weary form. The blonde's mussed braid becomes undone, removing the tangled leaves and allowing the strands to rest gently upon her shoulders. Her clothes are not only dried but covered by a thin, lightweight, black material resembling armor. Her head, torso, arms, legs, and even her hands and feet are protected by it. She looks at the fae, a question on the tip of her tongue. Before she can ask, Maleficent is already answering, "Ceramic. It will shield you from swords and projectiles." Elenya sends her a grateful smile, only to remember she's wearing a helmet.

As she removes it to speak more clearly, Maleficent waves her hand again. Diaval transforms into a stallion-raven hybrid at once, and Phillip's sheath and sword float over to Elenya. She adorns the sheath and holsters the iron sword, before turning to Maleficent and catching her eye. She takes a deep breath, hoping to thoroughly convey her utter devotion,  "Thank you." 

Maleficent stills for a moment. She knows Elenya isn't thanking her just for the armor. She holds Elenya's gaze, then gives a slow nod that speaks a thousand words. "Come now, we don't have all day." Elenya grins as she walks up to Diaval, petting his mane, "You look super." He shakes his head with a huff, stomping his front hoof in agreement. 

Elenya slips the helmet on, then grabs ahold of the black saddle and hoists herself up, adjusting before reaching her hand down for Maleficent. "My Queen." A smirk pulls at the side of her mouth as she places her hand in Elenya's, "My knight." Elenya tugs Maleficent onto the saddle, ever-so-grateful for the helmet hiding her furious blush as the fae's arms wrap around her middle. 

"To the castle?"

"To the castle."

~~~

Diaval gallops through fields and trees, never faltering in his speed. Phillip's horse trails behind, the unconscious boy strapped safely in. Elenya holds Diaval's reins tightly, her resolve strengthening with each step closer to the castle. She hopes there will be no need for her armor or sword, but even after all these years, she knows her big brother like the back of her hand.