.06

Arlo:

From his spot at the wall, he could see bodies moving and swaying, while others, much like himself, avoided the dance floor and opted to just stand to one side and chatter with fellow party goers, a drink held firmly in their hands. Arlo wasn't sure what it was exactly that the kids were drinking, because Nathaniel, though a good host, didn't have time to get drinks for the party. Some of the students must have brought their own supply for the occasion.

What Nate did bring, however, was just a few harmless party favors. Ones that Arlo tended to avoid, though he didnt mind if others around him used them. He could have a good time without the feeling of a high. He had tried it once with Gorgan Licks and the next day felt very sick. It wasn't a good time either. Everything turned into some sort of trip that Arlo was just not impressed with. He remembered seeing funny colors and everyone just looked... bright. It was odd and he couldn't really describe it well if he tried. He just knew it wasn't enjoyable, so watching his fellow students lick the scales of a Gorgan made him cringe. They were in for it all right.

To his right, up against the walls stood the tables filled with snacks. One part of the table which had been empty when he arrived was now covered in different types of drinks: from water, to juice, to pop, and to something he figured was a little more adult. To the left stood the entrance way to the Weapons Hall and the makeshift dance floor. He could see some people entering and with a helpful squint, he could see that it was Lane Clark and his crew, or at least some of them. A few of his other friends had already arrived and were either helping themselves to drinks or somewhere on the dance floor.

Arlo didn't exactly have a set group of friends. He had friends from every group, a random person here or there which he talked to and sometimes lended his magical services to. He knew the difference between his friends and those who wanted to just use his powers and the fact that his father was the Headmaster, so he only lended his abilities to those he trusted not to use him for power and popularity. He found it funny that people thought being close to him meant popularity, because he was considered somewhat of a nerd amongst the wizards. The new kids had no idea and flocked him at times. Wizards and witches all but avoided him, except for Aster, but Aster was different and he appreciated it.

He lifted a hand to wave to said boy and smiled when Aster waved back. He knew Aster de Angelo was very different. He was raised in a cabin within the woods and his parents were in charge of a secret coven. He was considered the Prince of Darkness and spent a majority of his time learning spells, potions and hexes, trying his best to master his powers before he had to take over position from his parents. He also knew that Aster had a pet dragon, a fact that most people did not know.

Beside him stood one of the only Angels to walk amongst the students at the school, Elio Perlman. Arlo always wondered if Elio felt different amongst his friends, being a rare species at the school. There was only one other Angel, though no one knew the identity of the who they were. Sometimes it frustrated Arlo. He liked knowing what his fellow students were. But it never made him treat anyone differently, and he found that he didnt really even care to know what another student was. Yes, he wanted to know for educational and curiosity reasonings, but never to put them into categories or treat them differently. He knew not everyone was like this, unfortunately.

But looking around the room, he did not see Elves and Vampires. He saw girls and boys relaxing and having a good time after a day of school. He saw kids trying to escape the tediousness of daily life. He knew their pains and struggles and he appreciated every one of them despite their species.

"Penny for your thoughts?" A voice beside him caused him to jump and when he looked up, he saw his roommate at his side. He gave Mason a quick smile followed by a shrug. "I know that look. Stop thinking so seriously. Its a party, dude. Time to lighten up."