Chapter 19

Varian dashed through the halls, not caring if the students were staring.  Suddenly, he felt someone grab his wrist.  He snapped his head around to see it was Ruby.  Concern written on her face.  "Varian?"

He pulled his arm away before he ran off.  Shoot.  Ruby was the last person he wanted to see him that way.  What was with her?  She kept going out of her way for him.  If she was trying to confuse him, well she got a straight A from him.

He finally hid himself in a bathroom stall.  He leaned his back against the stall door, scrubbing at his eyes.  This was so stupid!  He wanted to scream at himself.  If he was trying to appear weak in front of the entire school, he certainly succeeded.  Perfect.  Now he really gave his father a reason to be disappointed in him.

"Varian?  Are you in here?  Ruby said you came this way..."

The teen stiffened upon hearing Carlos say his name.  Great.  Now Carlos knew he was a total freak.  He bit down on his lip and di his best not to make a noise as he choked down his sobs.

"Varian."

Carlos stood in front of his stall.  Varian knew that his shoes were a dead give away because Evie had custom made them herself, so they were one of a kind.  That and he wasn't good at crying entirely silently.

"Just leave me alone!"

"I can't do that."

"Well, why not?"  Varian snapped.

"Because you've been alone your whole life.  Being alone isn't going to help you.  Believe me, I know."

"What do you know that I've been through?  We lived entirely different lives!"

"No, I wouldn't say entirely.  Fairy Godmother told me about the outburst."

"Can't I get any freaking privacy in this place?"

"Varian, when I first came here.  I believed things like that about myself.  My... our mom wasn't the nurturing type either.  She was very abusive, physically, mentally, and emotionally.  You and I... we aren't so different."

Varian sniffed, sucking in a deep breath.   He had the palm of his hand on his forehead as he tilted his head back against the stall door.  "All I ever wanted was to make him happy.  To make him proud, but... I was never enough..."

"Yeah... same with mom... nothing ever made her happy..." Carlos agreed, sadness lacing his voice.

"It would be so much easier if I just hated his freaking guts just like he hates mine!  Why can't I hate him?  How can I not hate him?  It's not like he ever showed me how to do anything but hate!"

"Hate never made anyone happy, V."

"At least it blocks the pain!"  Varian sobbed.

Carlos stayed silent for a moment before speaking again.  "But the pain always be there, even if it's covered.  We can help you heal..."

"How?  You don't know how broken I am!"

"No, but I know you're not too broken to be put back together.  Just let us help you," Carlos pleaded.

Varian remained quiet.  Then he began to speak again.  "...Carlos?"

"Yeah?"

"I know you're late for class... but can you stay here?"

"As long as you need me to.  My English teacher will understand anyways."

"Thank you..."

"No problem."

Fairy Godmother stood in the hallway listening.  She sighed when Varian calmed down.  He sounded like he was on the verge of having a panic attack.  It hurt to know how much pain he was in, but it was sweet to know that Carlos was so ready to be right there with him to help him through it.  After all, Carlos had gone through some similar traumas in his life.  Who would be better than to help him get better?

She glanced to her right.  Ruby was clutching her school books tightly.  Her grip lessened as she released the breath that she had been holding.  Between Carlos and a girl that was as sweet as Ruby, Varian was certain to heal.

Fairy Godmother handed her a note.  "You better get to class," she whispered.  "Give this not to your teacher so you aren't in trouble for being late."

Ruby nodded her thanks.  She gave one more glance at towards the scene before going off to do as bidden.

Ok.  My heart!

Fun fact: Ruby wasn't actually in my outline, but I feel like the story needed her.

Next chapter will focus more on the movie's story.  Unless I end up on a rabbit trail. :p

I know I should probably save publishing this chapter for some other day, considering that I've already published 2 today.  I'm just not patient enough to do that though!