Chapter 19

Sorry for the short legnth, it's rather late, and I have classes in the morning. I wanted to update though. G'night! (Or G'morning or G'whenever) Thanks for reading fyi, I won't keep you waiting 🖤

"Just like old times?"

Sirius stood in the doorway of the Shrieking Shack, James looking around at the changes in the last two decades and Remus on the floor.

McGonagall had allowed the three to use the Shrieking Shack as a base for Remus to transform. Since he had only returned a few days prior, they couldn't get him a batch of Wolfsbane potion quick enough, though the Ministry of Magic had promised to provide for his war efforts (along with the Order of Merlin First Class that Remus still hadn't fully comprehended that he was receiving yet.)

"Yet, it's also so different." James said, his eyes wandering to the dust covered floor. "Back then, we were reckless teenagers with our whole lives ahead of us. Now, Moony and I have sons, we've died and came back for Merlin's sake."

"It's the same, but it's so different," Remus muttered, his hand writing his name out of the dust. "The moon's about to rise, I'd transform if I were you."

James and Sirius nodded, and looked at each other before transforming, just a millisecond before the first peak of moonlight hit the shack.

They had seen Remus transform countless times, but that doesn't make it any less painful to watch.

His screams echoed the walls as his face elongated, and his limbs bent in ways that shouldn't be possible. 

Padfoot buried his nussle in the dirt covered floor to try to avoid watching the pain, and Prongs tried to look away as well, but like a person watching a horror movie, his eyes were glued to the scene.

Remus's heart wrenching howl was met with a bark and a grunt, and two large animals rushing to keep the werewolf in his spot. One obvious thing is; it was going to be a long night."

■■■

Ted, Andromeda, Lily, Regulus, Tonks, Harry, and Teddy were sitting in silence late into the night, long after the moon had risen. Teddy had been long asleep in Harry's arms, having wanted to cuddle with his godfather before bed. 

There was a tension in the room that was blatantly obvious. Not being able to handle it anymore, Tonks said, "Do you think they're alright," aloud.

"I think so," Lily answered. "I learned that if I worry too much, I get overworked. Better to not think about it, and see how it is in the morning. How about we do a chess tournament to take our minds off of everything."

"The years of losing to Ron will finally do me some good," Harry said, standing up. "I'll get it. Where is one, Andy or Ted?"

"The closet just beyond that staircase."

Harry retrieved the chessboard and they played all night, trying to avoid thinking about the three Marauders.