Chapter 3: Intuition

Chapter 3

Jasmine was wrong. It was one week later and people still stopped and stared every time Cody walked in the room. Girls still thrust themselves at him like he was going to go out of style. But none of that really surprised her too much.

What did surprise her was the way he took it. Most guys would be all over the attention and taking full advantage to have their way with whoever he wants but Cody just kind of sat there, almost too nice to say anything which gave him a mysterious vibe. Jasmine would admit she did wonder why he was so quiet and mysterious but she guessed it's really none of her business.

She walked into Pre-Cal and sat down at her desk. She was doodling images she saw with her eyes closed, a habit she developed a while ago. It usually ended up in some unrecognizable, abstract art but she enjoyed it anyway. Jasmine heard people trickling in and then the teacher announced himself so she opened her eyes and copied the information off the board. The teacher was going on and on about polynomials or something. She was about to shoot herself in the head for lack of anything better to do when he announced a project. "You will have a project due at the end of the month with a partner."

This should be good. Note sarcasm. "I will be choosing your partners for you," he explained almost zealously. There was a chorus of groans throughout the classroom. "Daryl and Andria, Cody and Jasmine will be partners." Excuse me? Jasmine's head popped up with a look of confusion as she looked around the classroom. Was there another Jasmine in this class? "Me?" she asked surprised. The teacher gave her a look that said he couldn't tell if she was stupid or just kidding but amused all the same.

Jasmine glanced over to where Cody was and saw that he was staring straight at her. Okay, what is it with him staring at her? she thought. This was the second time and to be honest, it made her stomach turn in knots. "Please go and collaborate with your partner."

Jasmine slowly got up avoiding more eye contact with Cody as she dragged her feet towards the area where he was currently awkwardly shifting in his seat. She could feel all the girls' glaring at her as she got closer to the proximity of Cody. Oh good grief, get over it people! Eventually, the girls started acting somewhat normal and stopped staring at Jasmine. They sat there for a few seconds feeling the awkward tension. "So what are we doing our project on again?" Jasmine inquired needing to break the silence. He softly answered back "Functions." They talked, well she talked mostly about the ideas she had and she realized that in order to finish this project on time that we were going to have to meet outside of school.

"There's not going to be enough time to finish this in class, so we need to meet somewhere to get it done. We could do it at my house, the library or your house," Jasmine asserted. "We're not doing it at my house," he responded definitively almost as soon as the words left her mouth. She nodded. "We could do it at mine," Jasmine suggested remembering the library closes pretty early. He only nodded looking as if he wished to be anywhere but there.

"Here's my contact information," Jasmine gestured giving him a scrap of paper with her phone number and email hoping she could get his in return. He reluctantly gave her his e-mail and they decided to meet this Wednesday afternoon. The bell suddenly rang and they both packed up to leave. Jasmine was in the hall preparing for her last class when Simone came up a screeched loudly in Jasmine's ear.

"You're partners with Cody?"

"Yes, and- wait, how do you know?"

The class just ended. How could it be that gossip traveled so fast that Jasmine didn't even get to tell her friend what happened because someone else already did and it happened directly to her?! "News travels fast." She shrugged. Well, she figured she would try to make the best of it. Even though she was sure the teacher didn't plan for drama to come with the package of being Cody's partner, Jasmine really wished he had given some other girl that privilege.

The rest of the day passed by quickly and before she knew it, it was time to go home. Going to her locker she gathered her homework and all the books she needed to complete it. She was looking for her English journal to complete the writing prompt for that day but could not find it.

Frustrated, Jasmine ended up emptying out her entire locker. With all of her books, notebooks and papers on the floor, she went through them one by one and confirmed that the journal was not in her locker. Confused and annoyed, she mentally traced back the last time she saw it.

Knowing she had it in English class earlier that day after she wrote the writing prompt down, it didn't make sense why she wouldn't have it now. After she wrote down the prompt, she put it in her bag and then put the notebook in her locker. Jasmine didn't recall making any stops between the classroom in the locker and her bag zips so there's no way it could have fallen out.

Double-checking her bag for a hole and seeing there wasn't one, she groaned. Not only would Jasmine have to get a new journal, but that meant her journal is out there for anyone to read. The journal was dedicated to English assignments but some of the prompts were surprisingly personal and required some self-disclosure in comparing the characters of books they were reading with themselves.

Sighing again, Jasmine picked up the remaining contents of her locker and put them back, she suddenly felt like she was being watched. Her head swiveled around taking in her surroundings. There were some lingering students but for the most part, the hallway was empty. Her stomach flipped a little bit and the hair on her back was raised with goosebumps. Shaking it off and calling herself paranoid, she walked towards the exit and to her car. Deciding she'd better get a replacement journal before she forgot, she drove to a local office supply store. When she got out and walked in, Jasmine still had the feeling like she was being followed.

She kept looking behind her and not seeing anyone. Trying desperately to convince herself that it was all in her head but failing, she quickly grabbed the first notebook she saw, hurriedly went through the line, and back to her car. She drove home and when the door closed behind her, she looked out the window to see nothing out of the ordinary. "Wow, I really have to get a grip," Jasmine berated herself feeling stupid. The anxiety in the pit of her stomach slowly decreased and eventually, she was able to put it out of her head.