Chapter 2: What's Different?

Chapter 2

"Class settle down, we have a new student." Obviously. After a few minutes of getting through the swarm of ogling girls and insistence from the teacher, the new guy came up to the front. "So tell us your name and something about you." Mr. Smith encouraged smiling in that way that only teachers do when they think they have a "great" idea.

"I'm Cody and like extracurricular activities."

Wow, Jasmine rolled her eyes, shaking her head internally. So Cody is up himself like half the guys on the planet, surprise surprise. Cody walked back to his seat and she paid attention to the class trying to ignore all the artless girls vying for his attention. When class was over, she got up and went to her locker where Aliyah, one of her best friends, was standing looking comfortable with her pressed hair up in a ponytail, comfy button-down sweater and leggings.

Jasmine was about to say something when Simone walked over, her excitement practically bubbling over, so much so that her phone was about to fall out of the pocket of her black, high waisted shorts. Dressed in a complimenting cropped red, blouse the girl was the pinnacle of attraction, well as much as a teenage girl could be. The girl was blessed with melanin that was so popppin, she got looks from everyone; something she definitely took advantage of. "Did you see the new guy?!!" Simone squealed.

Jasmine had the urge to cover her ears and crawl in a hole. No offense to Simone but she could be screechy at times and all over a guy. "Yes, I did and although I can agree he is fine, I refuse to be an obsessive fangirl," Jasmine answered rolling her eyes, almost embarrassed they were having this conversation.

"Okay, I heard that he's not really a player," Aliyah chimed in. We both turned her, interested in this piece of information. "He was extremely quiet for a cocky d-bag," she further stated. Jasmine shook her head not believing it. "No, he's cocky," she disagreed.

"When he introduced himself this morning, he said he likes extracurricular activities." 

"Wait, hold up, he was in your class and you didn't SAY anything!" Simone bellowed enraged.

"Oh my gosh, he's not a god or something, get over him! He's just the new guy. Everyone will act normal in a week," Jasmine said emphatically, unimpressed.

She went to class still a tad annoyed that everyone was playing master and mistress with Cody. At the end of the day she had gone through 5 out of 7 class periods with Cody and in every class, every girl practically pushed anyone who was in their way to get to Cody.

You would have thought he had the key to immortality or something. To Jasmine's surprise though, he was unusually quiet. Finally, the school was over and as she was heading out, she heard some guys talking. "So you're going to try out for the football, basketball, track, swim, and be in debate team?"

Okay so maybe he does like extracurricular activities. So he's not a liar. Jasmine heard a strong but quiet answer to the affirmative from Cody. When she looked up, she saw Cody staring at her like he wanted to do or say something to her but wouldn't. Weird.

Jasmine jumped in her mustang and headed to her favorite smoothie place. It's like a ritual every day after school. It's only two bucks and has the best fruit mix she had EVER tasted. She ordered a kiwi strawberry smoothie headed out. She decided she wanted to go shopping so she called Aliyah and Simone on a 3-way call.

"Hey, you guys want to hit the mall later in an hour?" They agreed after Jasmine apologized for going off on them this morning. She drove along admiring the high rises in the distance as well as the clear blue sky that highlighted the sun's movement. The scenery started to get less open and more enclosed as she and parked after removing a bag from the trunk.

Looking around where she was walking there was not all that much to see; an alley to the right, some graffiti covering the wall, and a bit of nothing in the surrounding blocks. Jasmine walked around the corner to the slightly ajar window. She threw her bag in and hoisted herself through, landing on her feet with a soft thud. She quickly changed into the workout clothes she had put in the bag and began.

Taking a deep breath, she prepared herself to dance. She warmed up by doing the splits and a couple of minutes of walk-overs. She then practiced some ballet moves like pirouettes, leaps, and chaînés turns. Today she was just focusing on some ballet.

Felling properly warmed up, she went over the speakers Jasmine saved up for and popped in the peaceful but dynamic sounds of Beethoven. From there she was lost in her own world. As her body twisted and turned, she could feel her thoughts clear and her body become one with the sounds flowing from my speakers. Then, when the song finished, she did some walkovers to cool down. She walked out feeling loose and refreshed until she got to the car.

Jasmine only had thirty minutes to get to the mall so she sped home. She hurried up to her room and yanked her clothes off and hopped in the shower. She showered in three minutes flat and grabbed her towel. She was running around her room doing everything at once. She was simultaneously putting on her shirt and grabbing her phone to put in her purse. She ran out of the door and saw she had 5 minutes to get to the mall.

Jasmine was speeding a bit so she only got there a couple of minutes late. She knew she could have just called them and told them she would be late but being late was her biggest pet peeve and if she didn't like others doing it, then she definitely didn't want to be doing it herself. Luckily Aliyah and Simone didn't get here until after her. "Okay we have to go over there to that store," Simone pointed out excitedly after they had eaten some snacks.

In the end, Jasmine didn't buy anything although they had fun. She had just said goodbye to her friends and was on her way out when saw someone in the dark. She walked faster not wanting to be noticed but as she passed by she heard two dudes talking. One sounded extremely similar to...Cody! "You have to come, if you don't they'll kill you!"

That was unsettling, to say the least. The guy talking to Cody sounded vaguely familiar but Jasmine couldn't place the voice. She wasn't sure where Cody would have found such a sketchy-sounding friend and she was having an internal conflict on whether or not to get involved but she decided not to. It wasn't really her business so why should she butt in?