[14] Boyfriends

A/N: everyone go check out my new story "Ghost" please, and tell me what you think about it when you do! #shameless #self #promo

---
MICHAEL

If I'm to be honest, I haven't been truly happy in a long time. I have dragged myself through the years as a skeleton, pretending that the words and hits thrown to me can't penetrate my skin. But it has injected itself into my empty bloodstream, coursing through my veins like ice. I have tried to convince myself that being alone is best, for my own safety and others as well. I have drilled the idea that solitude is necessary into my diseased mind, telling myself that I like sitting in the dusty corridors of my room. I just didn't know that the dust was covering me up as well, suffocating me until I became a corpse with broken glass for hands.

However, even though my brain was set on the idea that being alone was fine, Luke taught me that it was not. He removed whatever disease was possessing my mind, giving me a chance to reach blindly for sanity. He made me feel like a blind man who just got laser eye surgery, and is seeing the world for the first time. Everything is brighter, more colorful. Everything is soft and smooth under my palm, and my skin is slowly losing the bruises. I can hardly feel what its like to be hit, to feel the force against my body, sending shattered vibrations through my hollow skull. My nerves are being replenished, and they have started feeling whole again. I feel whole again.

In front of me, the day is turning dark. The air gets colder and colder, but no goosebumps sprout across my skin. I'm used to the cold, and I find myself relishing in it.

We've lived in this isolate little cave for a while now. I can't tell if it is days, weeks, months, years. Hell, it could be centuries and I wouldn't differ it between seconds. Time doesn't exist here. What does, this far away from civilization? The only thing that exists here is our pumping hearts.

"I'm hungry." Luke announces from where he is sitting beside me, his arms wrapped around his knees. I glance at him, watching him untangle his long limbs and stand up, the setting sun turning his body into a silhouette.

"I saw a little stream a little ways away when I went out and walked around." Luke's hand rises up to comb through his hair. "I bet I can catch a fish or something."

"When did you see a stream?" I ask, confused. I don't remember him leaving. Luke glances down at me and a smile forms on his lips.

"You were sleeping." His eyes skim over my face slowly before he pinches my cheeks. I grimace, pulling away from him as he laughs.

The blonde sighs, straightening back up and peering out the front of the cave. "Would you mind making a fire, love? I'm going to go see if I can catch anything."

Blood rushes to my cheeks at the use of the word "love", and I nod my head quickly. Luke smiles and turns away, grabbing his backpack as he walks out the entry of the cave, disappearing from view.

I sit on the rock floor for a moment more, simply thinking of Luke's pretty eyes and smooth skin before standing up and grabbing some of the firewood Luke had brought inside our cave. I cradle the wood in my hands carefully, cautious as to avoid getting splinters. I dump a few logs at the entry of the cave, so that the smoke would rise into the sky and not into our makeshift home. My fingers reach for the small box of matches, taking one out and sliding it roughly across the side of the box, watching the small stick ignite into flames.

The little flame flickers in the fading daylight, illuminating the growing darkness around me. I toss the flame into the wood, and it roars into a fire, sending an explosion of sparks into the air before settling into its quiet destruction, burning the wood into nothing but ashes. I lower myself to the ground, warming my pale skin as I watch disintegration take place in front of me.