5. DIGGORY

But as it had been made crystal clear to Gene in the past month or so, she might have been the unluckiest girl in the world. She made her way past McGonagall's office and out to the courtyard, only to be met with a dreadful storm. It was hailing hard, with students running across the courtyard with their bags and books held over their heads for protection, though she had neither of those things.

"How typical." Gene muttered through gritted teeth, glancing up at the heavy rainfall from under the safety of a stone arch.

"I'll run with you."

A voice suddenly spoke, making Gene jump as she glanced up at the irritatingly tall figure, recognising it to belong to Cedric Diggory.

"What?" was all Gene could say, her mind jumbled from the interaction.

Suddenly, he grabbed her wrist, tugging her forward and they ran directly into the rain. Gene laughed out of shock, not even caring about how mad she might have looked, before they finally made it to safety. Their laughter had died down as they walked the safety of the corridors, leaving a trail of water behind them as they did.

Gene shook her head before grabbing the ends of her hair, wringing the water from it as Cedric did the same with his robes. "Where are you headed?" she asked.

"I'm going to put my name in the Goblet of Fire." he said, an air of pride about him.

Gene's eyebrow lifted at this, mildly impressed at his confidence. It turned out they were headed the same way, as she planned to meet the others in the assembly room where the Goblet of Fire was being kept.

"Good luck." she smiled as Cedric pushed open the doors, allowing Gene to pass through first, without realising all eyes were now on them.

"Thanks." Cedric called back to her over his shoulder and his friends began to push him toward the Goblet, while Gene approached Harry and Ron.

"What was that about?" Ron asked her, his brows furrowed. Harry attempted to discreetly nudge him in the side and Ron frowned, holding his ribs.

"Nothing." Gene shrugged. "We were just talking." she found herself smiling as Cedric passed by again, offering her a wave.

"You and Diggory?" Fred began, his chin resting on Gene's right shoulder and she flinched in surprise.

George copied his brother, this time on her left, "I don't believe it, Fred. Our Gene's growing up." he spoke in her ear.

"Oh, bugger off you two." Gene shrugged her shoulders as she bit back a smile, her heart swelling at his words nonetheless, "Don't you have some havoc to be wreaking?" she asked.

They gave each other a sure nod, their arms interlinking as they began to down a small vial of some sort of potion. They jumped inside the age line that Dumbledore had drawn, waited a moment before they realised they were in.

The crowd cheered, while Gene only gave Hermione a knowing look. They grabbed the small pieces of parchment with their names and placed them into the Goblet, waiting a moment and high-fiving one another, realising their plan had worked.

That was, until a burst of blue flames erupted, spitting their names out and launching the twins across the room. Gene watched on in shock, as they began to sit up, finding that they had grown full, white beards. She burst into laughter, her hand clapping over her mouth as they glared at her from the other side.

As they began to wrestle one another, the crowd cheering them on had now gone silent as the doors sprung open, with Viktor Krum entering the room and placing his name in the fire. He glanced at Hermione, the look lasting a little longer than normal and she smiled in return before he left the room.